What is the work done on a block as its radius decreases on a horizontal table?

In summary, a small block of mass 0.91 kg moves in a circle of radius r0 = 0.63 m with a speed of 1.5 m/s, held in place by a string passing through a hole at the center. The string is then pulled down a distance of 0.12 m, leaving the block at a radius of r1 = 0.51 m. The block continues to move in a circle with a decreasing radius due to the slow pulling of the string. To calculate the work done by the force in changing the radius from 0.63 m to 0.51 m, the final velocity of 1.667 m/s can be calculated assuming constant centripetal acceleration.
wolly6973
A small block of mass 0.91 kg slides without friction on a horizontal table. Initially it moves in a circle of radius r0 = 0.63 m with a speed 1.5 m/s. It is held in its path by a string that passes through a small hole at the center of the circle. The string is then pulled down a distance of r0 - r1 = 0.12 m, leaving it at a radius of r1 = 0.51 m. It is pulled so slowly that the object continues to move in a circle of continually decreasing radius.
How much work was done by the force to change the radius from 0.63 m to 0.51 m?

I need help with setting this one up. I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The added force is incredibly small, so you can assume the centripetal acceleration is the same at the end as it was in the beginning. So calculate the new velocity based on that

So i get the final velocity as 1.667m/s, but I need acceleration to calculate work, and I don't have the time.

Related to What is the work done on a block as its radius decreases on a horizontal table?

1. What is a block on a horizontal table?

A block on a horizontal table is a common physics problem used to demonstrate the concept of friction. It involves a block of mass resting on a flat surface, such as a table, with no external forces acting on it.

2. What factors affect the motion of a block on a horizontal table?

The motion of a block on a horizontal table is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the coefficient of friction between the block and the table, and the force applied to the block.

3. How do you calculate the net force on a block on a horizontal table?

To calculate the net force on a block on a horizontal table, you need to consider the forces acting on the block. These may include the force of gravity, the normal force from the table, and any applied forces. The net force is the sum of all these forces.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficient of friction and the force required to move a block on a horizontal table?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of how difficult it is to slide an object over a surface. The higher the coefficient of friction, the more force is required to move the block on the horizontal table.

5. How does the angle of the table affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the table can affect the motion of the block in several ways. If the table is inclined, the force of gravity will act on the block in a different direction, causing it to accelerate down the slope. The angle of the table can also affect the normal force and the coefficient of friction, both of which can impact the motion of the block on the horizontal table.