What is the Work Done on an Object on an Incline with Constant Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 10 kg block on an incline being pushed by a force with a displacement of 7m at constant velocity. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.2 and the goal is to determine the magnitude of the force and the work done on the block by all the forces in the system. The solution involves calculating the normal force and the force F using the equations for equilibrium, as well as determining the work done by each force. The final answer should result in a total work of zero, but the individual calculations seem to be correct.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A 10 kg block lies on an incline 15 degrees above the horizontal. A force F, parallel to the incline, pushes the block up the incline. There is a displacement of 7m and the displacement is done with constant velocity. Given that the coefficient of kinetic friction, μ, is 0.2, determine the magnitude of the force F and determine the work done on the block by all the forces in the system.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/N4nQMH4.png

The object's in equilibrium, so

[tex] \sum F_y = 0 [/tex]

[tex] n = wcos(θ) = mgcos(θ) [/tex]

θ = 15, m = 10 kg, and g = 9.8 m/s^2, so n is around 94.66 N

[tex] \sum F_x = 0 [/tex]

[tex] F - f - wsin(θ) [/tex]

[tex] F = μn + mgsin(θ) [/tex]

n = 94.66N, μ = 0.2, m = 10 kg, g = 9.8 m/s^2, θ = 15, so F is around 44.29N and f is around 18.93 N. The work done by the normal force is zero since it is perpendicular to the displacement.

The work done by the force F is the product of its magnitude and the displacement since it lies parallel to the displacement.

[tex] W_F = (44.29N)(7m) = 310 J [/tex]

Friction works in opposition to the displacement, so it does negative work on the object.

[tex] W_f = (18.93N)(7m) = - 132 J [/tex]

The work done on the object by the weight is the magnitude of the component in the direction of the displacement. The weight's component in the direction of the displacement opposes the displacement, so it is also negative.

[tex] W_w = (mgsinθ)(7m) = (25.36N)(7m) = - 177 J [/tex]

This was a problem I had on a test and it seemed very simple and straightforward. I was convinced I didn't do anything incorrectly, but when I turned it in I saw that my answers were different than my prof's.

I've looked it over again and I'm almost convinced I didn't do anything wrong. Could anyone possibly look it over and tell me if there's anything wrong with my reasoning?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the rounding, the total work has to be zero. Otherwise, your derivation is correct.

ehild

1. What is mechanical work?

Mechanical work is the amount of energy transferred to an object when a force is applied to it and it moves in the direction of the force.

2. How do you calculate mechanical work?

Mechanical work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.

3. What units are used to measure mechanical work?

Mechanical work is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI system. However, it can also be measured in other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) or kilogram-meters (kg-m).

4. How is mechanical work related to energy?

Mechanical work and energy are closely related. Mechanical work is a form of energy transfer, as it involves the transfer of energy from one object to another. The unit of measurement for both mechanical work and energy is the joule (J).

5. Can you provide an example of a basic mechanical work problem?

Sure, an example of a basic mechanical work problem would be calculating the work done when lifting a 50 kg box 2 meters off the ground. If a force of 100 newtons is applied, the work done would be 200 joules (W = F x d = 100 N x 2 m = 200 J).