What is the Work Involved in Lifting and Moving a Box with a Crane?

The crane needs to exert a force equal to the weight of the box, but in the opposite direction. This cancels out the gravitational force, allowing the crane to lift the box. In summary, the problem involves a crane lifting a box with a weight of 8400N to a height of 35m and then moving it horizontally for a distance of 10m with no friction. To find the work done, the formula W=W1+W2 is used, with W1 representing the work done in elevating the box and W2 representing the work done in moving it. To find W1, the force F1 must be found, which is equal to the weight of the box minus the force of gravity. To find
Adrian379
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known
G=8400N
h=35m
d=10m
g=10m/s^2

A crane elevate a box with G=8400N at h=35. After this, the box is moved horizontal on distance 10m. No friction.

Work = ?
ps. Sorry for bad English.

Homework Equations

I think that W=W1 ( work on elevating ) + W2 ( work on moving ).
W1=F1*h and W2=F2*d

In the first I must tu find F1.
F=F1-G ==> F1=G-F=G-ma

Now, F2:
F=F2==> F2=m*a.

W=F1+F2=G-ma+m*a.

But I don't know a...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know I am bad but I want to learn. What can I do to solve this exercice ? Thank you very much !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Adrian, :welcome:

Assume the lifting goes very slowly. So the only force that is needed for that is ##mg## = G . Keep the direction of the force in mind.
(why do I say that?).

Because F = -G ? Or.. F is a little bit stronger that G to lift ?

8bz1CVp.png

Last edited:
//Sorry for x2 post.

Adrian379 said:
Because F = -G ?
That is what is meant, yes.

1. What is a crane problem in kinematics?

A crane problem in kinematics refers to a physics problem that involves the study of motion and its causes, particularly in relation to cranes. It involves analyzing the forces and movements involved in operating a crane, determining the velocity and acceleration of the crane, and finding the optimal way to move and position objects using the crane.

2. What are the key principles of kinematics in solving a crane problem?

The key principles of kinematics in solving a crane problem include analyzing the motion of the crane using equations of motion, understanding the forces acting on the crane, and applying the principles of vector analysis to determine the crane's velocity and acceleration. It also involves considering the effects of gravity, friction, and other external factors on the crane's movement.

3. How do you calculate the velocity and acceleration of a crane in a kinematics problem?

To calculate the velocity and acceleration of a crane in a kinematics problem, you can use the equations of motion, such as the displacement formula, the velocity formula, and the acceleration formula. You will need to know the initial and final positions, the time taken, and any other relevant data, such as the mass of the crane and the forces acting on it.

4. What are the common challenges in solving a crane problem in kinematics?

Some common challenges in solving a crane problem in kinematics include dealing with multiple forces acting on the crane, taking into account the crane's own weight and inertia, and accurately measuring the time and distance involved in the crane's movement. Other challenges may include considering the effects of wind or other external factors, and determining the optimal path and speed for the crane to move an object.

5. How can solving a crane problem in kinematics be useful in real-life applications?

Solving a crane problem in kinematics can be useful in real-life applications, such as in construction or engineering projects where cranes are used to lift and move heavy objects. It can also be applied in industries that involve material handling, such as shipping and logistics, to optimize the movement of goods using cranes. Additionally, understanding kinematics principles can help improve the safety and efficiency of crane operations.