What is the work of a moving bowling ball?

In summary, the bowling ball has an initial velocity of 12.5 m/s and a final velocity of 12.5 m/s after it has traveled 1.24 m. The work done on the bowling ball is equal to the increase in kinetic energy.
domo

Homework Statement

A bowling ball of 7.21kg is thrown, it has an initial velocity of 12.5m, if his mouvement happens over 1.24m, what is the work of the bowling ball.

Homework Equations

W = FΔd
W = F (Cos∅)Δd

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is a trick question, but I'm not sure... to calculate the force of the bowling ball I would need to find it's mass and acceleration. But considering we don't have Δt or V2 we can't find the acceleration. Anyone know if I'm right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you wrote a sort of summary rather than the actual text of the problem. Is this so?
As you wrote it does not make much sense to me.

I assume that it's the final speed of the bowling ball that is 12.5 m/s, and that the initial velocity is zero. From the way the problem is worded, the distance of the movement doesn't matter, since the work done on the bowling ball equals the increase in kinetic energy. Assuming the initial KE is zero, what is the final KE?

rcgldr said:
I assume that it's the final speed of the bowling ball that is 12.5 m/s, and that the initial velocity is zero. From the way the problem is worded, the distance of the movement doesn't matter, since the work done on the bowling ball equals the increase in kinetic energy. Assuming the initial KE is zero, what is the final KE?

No, as i understood the question the ball's initial velocity is 12.5m/s, but it does not say if it accelerates, or stays at a constant speed. Is the work done equal to the increase of Ek? That's the first I've heard of this...

domo said:
No, as i understood the question the ball's initial velocity is 12.5m/s, but it does not say if it accelerates, or stays at a constant speed.
That doesn't make sense. What was the source of the ball's initial velocity? If that is the initial velocity, you need more information to determine the final velocity.

domo said:
Is the work done equal to the increase of Ek?
Yes, it's a basic law of physics. Work = ΔEk (change in kinetic energy).

rcgldr said:
That doesn't make sense. What was the source of the ball's initial velocity? If that is the initial velocity, you need more information to determine the final velocity.

Yes, it's a basic law of physics. Work = ΔEk (change in kinetic energy).

Well it doesn't specify, it only says it's thrown, so I'm guessing someone threw it :P. That's all the information given; it is possible that this is a trick question... I just want to be sure.

Since only one velocity value is given in the problem I would assume it's the final velocity. I'm not sure what the 1.24 m movement information is to be used for. If this was the vertical distance the ball traveled, then the potential energy would decrease by m g h, and Ek would increase by m g h, but this doesn't appear to be the intent of the problem.

I believe the problem is stating that the ball leaves the thrower's hand with an initial velocity of 12.5 m/s, and it is asking for the work done on it during its 1.24 m movement while it is still in the thrower's hand, statrting from rest as rcgldr notes, and having a final velocity of 12.5 m/s at release. The 'final' velocity in the throwers hand is the 'initial' velocity when the ball leaves the hands. Problem could have been worded better, I suppose.

Likes 1 person
I doubt that this is the actual text of the problem, in a book. Just look at the sentence structure.
It may help if the OP takes an extra minute to copy the original text.

nasu said:
I doubt that this is the actual text of the problem, in a book. Just look at the sentence structure.
It may help if the OP takes an extra minute to copy the original text.

I swear to you this is the original question, not moified. It was not from my texted book, it written exacly like that on a test I recently did. I agree with you guys the wording he chose is terrible. The confusing part was that the '' initial velocity'' of the ball is when it is thrown, it is therefore the final velocity of his throwing movement, and obviously the initial velocity is 0.

However you guys were right, you can use conservation of energy Ec1 = Ec2 Or ΔEc to find the answer. you can also use the kinetic equation that does not include Δt and solve for the acceleration. From there use F = ma or simply substitute them all into the W = FΔd.

Thanks for the help guys!

1. What is the force exerted by a moving bowling ball?

The force exerted by a moving bowling ball is dependent on its mass, velocity, and direction of motion. This force is known as the ball's momentum and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity.

2. How does the force of a moving bowling ball affect the pins?

When a moving bowling ball makes contact with the pins, the force of its momentum is transferred to the pins, causing them to move or fall over. The amount of force required to knock over the pins depends on their mass and the speed and angle of the ball's impact.

3. What factors affect the speed of a moving bowling ball?

The speed of a moving bowling ball is affected by several factors, including the initial force applied to the ball, the friction between the ball and the lane, and the ball's weight and surface texture. Other factors such as lane conditions and the bowler's technique can also impact the speed of the ball.

4. How does a moving bowling ball's rotation affect its trajectory?

The rotation (or spin) of a bowling ball can greatly affect its trajectory. A ball with a side-spin will curve in the direction of the spin, while a ball with a backspin will have a higher arc and longer skid before hitting the pins. The amount of rotation can also impact the amount of friction between the ball and the lane, affecting its overall speed and trajectory.

5. How does the work of a moving bowling ball compare to other sports?

The work of a moving bowling ball is similar to other sports in that it involves the transfer of energy and the use of physical force to achieve a desired outcome. However, the unique properties of the bowling ball, such as its weight, shape, and surface texture, make it a distinct sport with its own set of principles and strategies.