What is this differential equation? I'm going crazy

In summary, the PDEs look like Euler-Cauchy ODEs, but they don't seem to fit the bill. The Euler-Cauchy can be solved using the method of characteristics, but the solution is not unique.
SSGD
I have been working on a math problem and I keep getting the some type of PDEs.

x*dU/dx+y*dU/dy = 0
x*dU/dx+y*dU/dy+z*dU/dz = 0 ...

x1*dU/dx1+x2*dU/dx2+x3*dU/dx3 + ... + xn*dU/dxn= 0

dU/dxi is the partial derivative with respect to the ith variable. Does anyone know about this type of PDE? It looks like the Euler-Cauchy ODE.

Physics news on Phys.org
In each case, we can write the differential operator as ##\vec{r}\cdot\nabla_r U##, so the operator is a directional derivative along the vector ##\vec{r}##. I'm not sure that the equation with this equal to zero has a special name, though there are equations named after both Euler and Cauchy in the theory of transport that involve a directional derivative.

The equations can be reduced to a linear pde with constant coefficients with the substitution.

xi = e^yi

dU/dy1+dU/dy2 + ... + dU/dyn= 0

Same substition you would use to solve Euler-Cauchy ODE.

You can actually do a bit more. On a patch where one coordinate does not vanish, ##x_n\neq 0##, we can show that the solutions ##U(x_i)## must only depend on the ratios ##x_i/x_n## (called homogenous or projective coordinates), i.e., ##U## is a function ##U(x_i/x_n)##.

Wow your right... So U(xi/xn) could be written as U(e^(y1-yn),e^(y2-yn),...,e^(yn-1-yn)).

The solution U(x1,x2,...,xn)=U(a*x1,a*x2,...,a*xn)

Where a is constant. So it doesn't scale. I was just making substitutions to look for properties.

... Just realized the ratio of the two variables would cancel any constant coefficients anyway ... A lot of work for the same result.

Now I need a condition to find a solution.

Any (first-differentiable) function of the homogenous variables is a solution. You would need additional differential equations or boundary conditions to narrow the solutions.

I know there has to be n-1 solutions for the solution I am looking for if they exist. So one less than the number of variables. Which I think is possible because you can rewrite the function as the ratio of one of the variables. Which makes one less than n inputs. Thanks for the help/enlightenment. I like the vector approach. I am going to write out the Fourier series for the solution, sub back in the ln(yi) for xi and see if I can find some conditions

SSGD said:
I have been working on a math problem and I keep getting the some type of PDEs.

x*dU/dx+y*dU/dy = 0
x*dU/dx+y*dU/dy+z*dU/dz = 0 ...

x1*dU/dx1+x2*dU/dx2+x3*dU/dx3 + ... + xn*dU/dxn= 0

dU/dxi is the partial derivative with respect to the ith variable. Does anyone know about this type of PDE? It looks like the Euler-Cauchy ODE.

Those are first-order linear PDEs which can in principle be solved by the method of characteristics.

As an example, if [tex]
x \frac{\partial U}{\partial x} + y\frac{\partial U}{\partial y} = 0
[/tex] then you can make a change of independent variables from [itex](x,y)[/itex] to [itex](t,s)[/itex] where [itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial t} = x[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = y[/itex] to obtain [tex]
\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} = 0.[/tex] Thus [itex]U = f(s)[/itex] for some function [itex]f[/itex].
Now we know that [itex](x,y) = (A(s),B(s))e^t[/itex] so all we need is to choose the functions [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] appropriately and we can then invert the relationship to give [itex](t,s)[/itex] in terms of [itex](x,y)[/itex]. Here we can take [itex](A(s),B(s)) = (\cos s, \sin s)[/itex] which gives a problem at [itex](x,y) = (0,0)[/itex], but if you look at the PDE you see that [itex]\nabla U[/itex] is not uniquely determined at (0,0) anyway.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model and describe many natural phenomena in various fields of science and engineering.

2. How is a differential equation different from other types of equations?

A differential equation contains derivatives of a function, while other types of equations only contain the function itself. This makes differential equations more complex and challenging to solve, but they also have a wide range of applications.

3. Why do we use differential equations in science?

Differential equations are used in science because they can describe and predict the behavior of systems that change over time. They are particularly useful in studying physical systems, such as motion, heat transfer, and population growth.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

There is no one method for solving differential equations, as it depends on the type of equation and its complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms. In some cases, numerical methods are also used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many real-world applications, including modeling the spread of diseases, predicting weather patterns, designing control systems for vehicles and machines, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and ecology.