Solve Differential Equation with Euler's Method

In summary: I have no idea if yes i do it by my self.can you please explain a little more?In summary, you are trying to do the solution by yourself, but you don't seem to know how to do it.
youcef
Hi evry body
i would like to have an help to resolve this exercice below
the followin differential equation with its initial condition
dy/dt=-lambda t y(t) t>=0
avec y(0)=y0
where lambda is damping coeficient strictly positive.
-find the solution of this equation with Euler's explicite and implicite methode
-find analytically the values of h in order to euler methode (explicite) being applicable and obviously stable ( lim IynI=0 where n --->infini .and find the superior borne of time lag h according lambda>0
thanks
warmest Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello youcef, bienvenu a PF :smile: !

$${dy\over dt } = - \lambda \, t \, y(t) \\
y(0) = y_0$$ is what you want to solve ? Or have to solve (in that case it should be in the homework section!)

Or is it ## -\lambda(t) \, y(t) ## or is it just ##- \lambda \, y(t)## ?

What would make ##\lambda## a damping coefficient ? (I am used to damping coefficients in forms like ##{d^2y\over dt^2 } = - \lambda \, { dy\over dt}\ ## so I thought I'd better ask first.)

Likes youcef
BvU said:
Hello youcef, bienvenu a PF :smile: !

y(0) = y_0$$ is what you want to solve ? Or have to solve (in that case it should be in the homework section!)

Or is it ## -\lambda(t) \, y(t) ## or is it just ##- \lambda \, y(t)## ?

What would make ##\lambda## a damping coefficient ? (I am used to damping coefficients in forms like ##{d^2y\over dt^2 } = - \lambda \, { dy\over dt}\ ## so I thought I'd better ask first.)
Thanks
y(0) = y_0$$

OK, so let's get started on the first part: for Euler explicit you get $$ { y_{k+1}-y_k\over \Delta t} = -\lambda \, t \, y_k $$ and for Euler implicit you have to solve $$
{ y_{k+1}-y_k\over \Delta t} = -\lambda \, t \, y_{k+1}
$$to get ##y_{k+1} ## as a function of ##y_k##, ## t##, and ##\Delta t##.

Agree ?

--

Thanks BvU .I Agree.let's continue

Well, where do you have a problem when you do continue ?

Likes youcef
Wow, I don't follow. Is this for explicit Euler ?
So how do you come from $$
{ y_{k+1}-y_k\over \Delta t} = -\lambda \, t \, y_k
$$ to your ...(1) ? I don't see a square appearing at all !

BvU said:
Wow, I don't follow. Is this for explicit Euler ?
So how do you come from $$
{ y_{k+1}-y_k\over \Delta t} = -\lambda \, t \, y_k
$$ to your ...(1) ? I don't see a square appearing at all !
sorry
for implicite method yk+1=yk/(1+Δtλt)
for explicit
yk+1=yk(1-Δtλt)

What happened to your post ? If you edit it away completely, no one else can follow the thread later on !

for implicit method yk+1 = yk / (1 + Δt λ t )
for explicit yk+1 = yk (1 - Δt λ t )
Good. Any further problems ? If not then part one is ready ?

Likes youcef
BvU said:
What happened to your post ? If you edit it away completely, no one else can follow the thread later on !Good. Any further problems ? If not then part one is ready ?
you are very kind .yes no problem.let's go to second part

IF part 1 is ready, then what does your solution look like ? Any differences between implicit and explicit methods ?
Do you know the error both methods give when compared to the exact solution ?
What choices of delta t and lambda did you make ? I tried lambda = 0.5 and delta t up to 0.5 (0.501 went bang for the explicit Euler...)

But in fact the stability limit is exceeded a lot earlier. 0.32 also crashes

BvU said:
IF part 1 is ready, then what does your solution look like ? Any differences between implicit and explicit methods ?
Do you know the error both methods give when compared to the exact solution ?
What choices of delta t and lambda did you make ? I tried lambda = 0.5 and delta t up to 0.5 (0.501 went bang for the explicit Euler...)

But in fact the stability limit is exceeded a lot earlier. 0.32 also crashes
i don't understand what do you mean.is that is wrong solution

So far, I haven't seen your solution of the differential equation, so I don't know...

good morning
so anyone can't resolve it?

youcef said:
good morning
so anyone can't resolve it?
I don't understand. How far are you really with part 1? What results do you have to show ? See questions in post #11

BvU said:
nderstand. How far are you really with part 1? What results do you have to show ? See question
I have no idea if yes i do it by my self.

1. What is Euler's method and how does it work?

Euler's method is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions of a differential equation. It works by breaking down the continuous function into smaller intervals and using the slope of the function at each interval to approximate the value of the function at the next interval.

2. How accurate is Euler's method?

Euler's method is considered a first-order method, meaning that its error decreases at a rate of one for every interval. Therefore, the accuracy of the method depends on the size of the intervals used. Smaller intervals result in a more accurate approximation.

3. What are the limitations of Euler's method?

Euler's method can only be used for first-order differential equations, meaning that the highest derivative in the equation is one. It also assumes that the function is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the method can produce significant errors for larger intervals or complex functions.

4. How do I choose the step size for Euler's method?

The step size, or interval size, is chosen by the user and depends on the desired level of accuracy. Smaller step sizes will result in a more accurate approximation but will also require more calculations. It is important to balance the trade-off between accuracy and computational efficiency.

5. Can Euler's method be used for systems of differential equations?

Yes, Euler's method can be extended to solve systems of first-order differential equations. In this case, the slope at each interval is calculated for each equation in the system, and the corresponding values are updated simultaneously. However, the method may become more complex and computationally intensive for larger systems of equations.