What is This Piece of Equipment?

• Thread starter Haotranphotomask
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equipment
In summary, the person is seeking help identifying a piece of equipment attached to their exhaust fan that is controlled by an electrical signal. They suspect it may be a pressure relief damper and are looking for confirmation. The equipment is likely an automatic damper designed to introduce fresh air into the exhaust airstream and prevent birds from nesting. It may also serve to dilute toxic or bio-hazardous gases before releasing them into the atmosphere. The person provides links to resources on laboratory exhaust fans and mentions the possibility of a by-pass function to maintain optimal static pressure. They also mention a code requirement for a constant stack velocity of 3,000 fpm despite varying exhaust volumes from the building.
Haotranphotomask
Hello, I need some help determining what this piece of equipment is. It is currently attached to the inlet of my exhaust fan and controlled by some electrical signal. I am thinking it may be a pressure relief damper, but not sure if I am correct. I could not find any nameplate/set point for the piece. Could you guys please help?
IMG_0629.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems that you have a similar thing installed for the other fan.

It should be an automatic damper to incorporate some fresh air into the airstream that is exhausted from the building.
It could be a mean to dilute toxic or bio-hazardous gases prior to release those upwards into the atmosphere.

The screen is just to prevent birds from nesting inside that intake.

Please, see:
https://www.greenheck.com/products/air-movement/fans/laboratory-exhaust-fans

If the motor of the fan is constant velocity, that automatic damper could also have a by-pass function, so the static pressure in the exhaust duct and laboratory hoods is kept constant and optimal for lab operation.

Please, see:
https://content.greenheck.com/public/DAMProd/Original/10017/VSC_Comp_Guide.pdf

Last edited:
Likes Haotranphotomask
It's likely there to maintain a constant 3,000 fpm stack velocity(code required in some cases) despite receiving a variable exhaust volume from the building.

What is this piece of equipment?

This is a common question when someone encounters a new piece of equipment in a laboratory or scientific setting. The answer can vary depending on the specific equipment, but generally it is used for a specific purpose or function within a scientific experiment or process.

How does this equipment work?

This question is often asked when someone is trying to understand the mechanics or inner workings of a piece of equipment. It is important to understand how the equipment functions in order to use it properly and interpret the results it produces.

What are the safety precautions for using this equipment?

Safety is a top priority in any laboratory or scientific setting. When encountering a new piece of equipment, it is important to understand the potential hazards and safety precautions associated with its use. This may include wearing protective gear, following specific protocols, or receiving training before use.

What are the limitations of this equipment?

Every piece of equipment has its own limitations and it is important to be aware of them in order to properly interpret the results it produces. These limitations may include accuracy, precision, or sensitivity, among others. Understanding the limitations of equipment can also help guide experimental design and data analysis.

How do I maintain and troubleshoot this equipment?

Proper maintenance and troubleshooting are essential for ensuring the accuracy and longevity of scientific equipment. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines for maintenance and to have a plan in place for troubleshooting any issues that may arise during use.