What Is Time: Answers to Your Questions

• Thread starter Stratosphere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: How many times do I have to tell you?""Did you time your response?"In summary, time is a coordinate used to describe when or where something is. It is different from spatial coordinates in that it only moves in the positive direction. The concept of time is also tied to the laws of physics, as seen in Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, the definition and understanding of time is still a subject of debate and further research.
I’ve never been able to see time as being an actual thing and that’s part of the difficulty I have in accepting that time can be dilated. I see time as being merely a generic term attributed to the fact that things move relative to other things in a contiguous sequence of instances of existence. Time is the amount of instances of existence between any two particular instances of existence. An instant of existence is what is captured by a photo.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oy vey. Open challenging of established theories and intent to crack pots. We moderators dropped the ball here, sorry...

Seasnake, this isn't a place for that. This is a place for learning and understanding real science. You're new so I'll let it go with a polite warning - the next one won't be so nice. Perhaps more helpful: please note that the theory you are challenging has mountains of evidence supporting it. Anything you devise would necessarily have to be mathematically identical to Relativity (and therefore superfluous) otherwise it would make predictions about how the universe works that have already been proven wrong.

Other, more established members (tim...) - when you see a thread like this and the moderators aren't paying attention, please report it. We don't want to encourage crackpottery just because we overlooked something.

Thread locked.