What is wrong with following physics equations? (velocity and acceleration)

So the correct equation should be Vf=Vi + at. The mistake was that in the original equation, the 1/2 was missing in front of Vi, making the equation incorrect. This was corrected in the revised equation. The fundamental units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2). In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for average velocity, Vavg, which can be calculated using different formulas involving initial velocity (Vi), final velocity (Vf), distance (h), and time (t). However, the original equation was incorrect as it was missing a 1/2 in front of Vi, and the correct equation is Vf=Vi + at. The fundamental units of acceleration are meters per second squared (
Selfphysicslearner
vavg=(Vi+Vf)/2
vavg=h/t
then vavg*t=h
h=(Vi+Vf)/2 * t
Vf=at
(Vit+at2)*1/2=h
But formula on every resource I found says it should be;
(Vit+at2*1/2)=h
What mistake did I do ?

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 126
Physics news on Phys.org
Selfphysicslearner said:
Vf=at
Is it?
Are you missing anything here?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes Ibix
Selfphysicslearner said:
Vf=at
This is not generally correct.

cnh1995 said:
Is it?
Are you missing anything here?
I see it must be actually:Vf=Vi+at then there is 2 Vi in formula which eliminates 1/2 multiplied makes it
h=1/at^2 +2*1/2Vi

Likes cnh1995 and Dale
What are the fundamental units of acceleration?

Selfphysicslearner said:
vavg=(Vi+Vf)/2
vavg=h/t
then vavg*t=h
h=(Vi+Vf)/2 * t
Vf=at
(Vit+at2)*1/2=h
But formula on every resource I found says it should be;
(Vit+at2*1/2)=h
What mistake did I do ?
Vf=at , this equation means final velocity = acceleration * time. This can happen only if initial velocity is 0, but in the equation Vi is the initial velocity and Vi is not 0 as per the equations wrriten.

1. What are velocity and acceleration in physics?

Velocity and acceleration are two fundamental concepts in physics that describe the motion of an object. Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position over time, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In other words, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, and acceleration measures how quickly its velocity is changing.

2. How are velocity and acceleration related?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related in physics. Acceleration is the derivative of velocity, meaning it is the rate of change of velocity over time. This means that if an object's velocity is changing, it is experiencing acceleration. Conversely, if an object is experiencing acceleration, its velocity is changing.

3. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity/acceleration?

Average velocity and acceleration refer to the overall change in an object's position or velocity over a given time interval. Instantaneous velocity and acceleration, on the other hand, refer to the specific velocity or acceleration of an object at a particular moment in time. Average values are calculated over a longer period, while instantaneous values are calculated at a specific point in time.

4. How do velocity and acceleration affect an object's motion?

Velocity and acceleration play a crucial role in determining an object's motion. An object with a constant velocity will continue to move at the same speed and in the same direction, while an object with a changing velocity (i.e. acceleration) will experience a change in its motion. Acceleration can cause an object to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

5. Can physics equations for velocity and acceleration be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the equations for velocity and acceleration can be applied to all types of motion, as long as the motion is in a straight line and the acceleration is constant. This includes both linear motion (straight line) and rotational motion (circular or curved path). However, for more complex motion, such as projectile motion, additional equations and principles may need to be applied.