What is wrong with our assumptions?

• Thread starter cubby208
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assumptions
In summary: We then got this formula:We tried out our first mass and it took it 3.3 seconds to travel one meter.We plugged everyhing into the formula and gotUnfortunately this did not work out for us. We converted grams to kilograms and substituted everything in. We got a calculated mass that was way too low, the objects actual weight is 12 grams. What did we mess up?
cubby208
[Moderator note: Thread moved from technical forum so no template shown]

I am trying to do a simple experiment that estimates the mass of an object based on how an Atwood machine reacts when it is added to one side.

For this experiment we have a pulley with 200-gram masses on either side of the rope. We then set it up so that the right mass was exactly one meter from the floor. Then we would attach the unknown mass to the other time, and measure the time in seconds it took for it to hit the floor.

From this data we calculated that the acceleration was (1 meter / (seconds to fall)^2). We then put it into the following formula.
usVFbxt.png

I really don't know where we got this formula from. I also don't know wether the a on one side is expressing acceleration of the system, or just one of the masses.

Since m1 and m2 are both 200 grams we were able to simplify the formula. While simplifying we considered that m2 would be (m1 + mu) (mu being the unknown mass). We then got this formula:
um0Sxp9.png

We tried out our first mass and it took it 3.3 seconds to travel one meter.
We plugged everyhing into the formula and got

Unfortunately this did not work out for us. We converted grams to kilograms and substituted everything in. We got a calculated mass that was way too low, the objects actual weight is 12 grams. What did we mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
cubby208 said:
I am trying to do a simple experiment that estimates the mass of an object based on how an Atwood machine reacts when it is added to one side.

For this experiment we have a pulley with 200-gram masses on either side of the rope. We then set it up so that the right mass was exactly one meter from the floor. Then we would attach the unknown mass to the other time, and measure the time in seconds it took for it to hit the floor.

From this data we calculated that the acceleration was (1 meter / (seconds to fall)^2). We then put it into the following formula.
usVFbxt.png

I really don't know where we got this formula from. I also don't know wether the a on one side is expressing acceleration of the system, or just one of the masses.

Since m1 and m2 are both 200 grams we were able to simplify the formula. While simplifying we considered that m2 would be (m1 + mu) (mu being the unknown mass). We then got this formula:
um0Sxp9.png

We plugged everyhing into the formula and got

Unfortunately this did not work out for us. We converted grams to kilograms and substituted everything in. We got a calculated mass that was way too low, the objects actual weight is 12 grams. What did we mess up?

First, if you don't know where a formula comes from you should see if you can derive it.

Why don't you draw a force diagram for the masses and try to come up with it, it'll clear up what it's actually trying to say.

Edit: Okay I reread it, and think you're saying that the .2kg mass is still there. in which case, your simplification is okay.

What did you get for acceleration? And the unknown mass?

I'm going to report this post, as I think it would be more appropriately placed in homework.

Last edited:
cubby208 said:
From this data we calculated that the acceleration was (1 meter / (seconds to fall)^2).
You're missing a factor of 2 there. If the distance to fall is ##h##, the time taken is ##t## and the acceleration is ##a##, then ##h=\frac{1}{2} at^2##, which gives ##a=2h/t^2##.

We then put it into the following formula.
usVFbxt.png

The two masses are connected by a string that doesn't stretch, so a is the magnitude of the acceleration of either one of the masses. One accelerates downwards while the other accelerates upwards at the same rate.

um0Sxp9.png
Fine.

We plugged everyhing into the formula and got ...
Got what? Is something missing there?

Are you trying to solve for ##m_u##, then, using the measured value of ##a##? Re-arranging your second equation gives $$m_u = \frac{2 m_1 a}{g-a}$$. Does that help?

1. What are assumptions in science?

Assumptions in science are beliefs or ideas that are taken for granted without being explicitly stated or proven. They are often used as starting points for scientific investigations and are based on previous knowledge, theories, or observations.

2. Why is it important to question our assumptions in science?

Questioning our assumptions is important in science because it allows us to critically evaluate the validity and accuracy of our beliefs. It also helps us to identify any biases or flaws in our thinking, which could lead to incorrect conclusions or hinder scientific progress.

3. How can we identify and challenge our assumptions in scientific research?

We can identify and challenge our assumptions in scientific research by actively seeking out contradictory evidence, considering alternative explanations, and conducting experiments to test our assumptions. It is also important to constantly reevaluate our assumptions as new evidence or information becomes available.

4. What are some common mistakes that arise from faulty assumptions in science?

Common mistakes that arise from faulty assumptions in science include drawing incorrect conclusions, disregarding important evidence, and limiting the scope of research. Faulty assumptions can also lead to biased research or hinder the development of new theories.

5. How can we prevent our assumptions from influencing the outcome of our research?

We can prevent our assumptions from influencing the outcome of our research by being aware of our own biases and actively seeking out alternative perspectives. It is also important to use a variety of research methods and to constantly question and reevaluate our assumptions throughout the research process.