What is your academic reading strategy?

In summary: I'll also try to read before bed, but I don't always make it. I'm a light sleeper and I find myself reading in my sleep a lot. In Summary, the best ways to read academic papers are to skim the abstract, check out the graphs, and download PDFs for later reference.
trigger701
Does anyone have any good reading strategies which they use to plough through academic papers?

I'm currently a little bit daunted by the amount of stuff out there that would be worth reading, and it's almost paralysing me a little.

Advice on any of the below would be useful:
- Deciding what to read.
- Organising the things you want to read into a manageable stream.
- The best times to get reading done.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are talking about textbooks, concentrate on the basic books for graduate level classes on subjects that you are interested in.
If you are talking about research publications, get the general idea of what types of research is going on, get copies of a lot for reference in your areas of interest, and study them in detail as the need arises.

I'm not sure if this would really count as "advice" but I can try to tell you how I do it and perhaps that will normalize your own experience.

Deciding What To Read
There's a LOT out there. In fact, there's so much material in my field that I'm not sure it's even possible to keep up with it all. I have about six or seven journals bookmarked. About once per month I skim through their latest contents and read any papers that look interesting or directly relevant to my work.

I also use Google's scholar alerts. They send me a reading list every few days based on my keywords. Sometimes I think I have to get better with my keywords though because I find only about 5% of what they send is of any interest. You can also set up watches on particular authors. There are a few groups that I follow because we work on similar problems.

And sometimes I'm just plain following my nose. A lot of journals I read have suggestions that pop up when I'm looking at one particular paper. Those are black holes that I can get lost in for hours if I'm not careful.

Organizing What You Want to Read
For me, academic reading is a lot like a kid eating lunch at school. First, you go for the desert, then maybe the sandwich if you're hungry. But you chuck that brown squished up banana. (Okay, maybe not the best analogy...) Anyway, it's rare that I read a journal article from start to finish. Normally it's a skim of the abstract to see what they've done, how they did it and what the results were. If that's interesting, I tend to skip to the graphs - and the results. Maybe I'll check out the methods, if the results were of interest. It's rare that I'll read the introduction unless I'm looking for a review of the field or if they're doing something novel that I can't figure out at first glance (kind of like reading a manual).

I tend to download PDFs if I think they'll be interesting, or if I'll ever want to reference them later and put them in my folder system. I have a dozen or so main areas of interest that I'll separate the papers into. Then when I have (make) time, I'll open the folder and read through what I've found interesting. Lately I've been storing things on the cloud (dropbox). This way I can read them wherever I happen to be.

Best Times to Read
I don't know that there's a "best" time for me. I do sometimes feel a pang of guilt when I'm reading "on the clock" but I really try to beat that back because reading is critically important to what I do. It's important to schedule in time for reading, planning and free thinking. Exactly how much of that you schedule in will depend on your personal circumstances though.

I tend to read more toward the end of the day. People leave work, the office quiets down, and if I don't have any pressing matters (I work in a clinical environment) I'll stay for an extra half hour and catch up on my reading.

1. What is the purpose of having an academic reading strategy?

An academic reading strategy is designed to help you efficiently and effectively comprehend and analyze academic texts. It allows you to approach reading with a specific plan in mind, rather than just reading aimlessly. This can help you save time and improve your understanding of the material.

2. What are the key components of an effective academic reading strategy?

An effective academic reading strategy should include previewing the text, actively reading and taking notes, and reviewing and summarizing the material. Previewing involves skimming the text to get an overview of the main ideas and structure. Actively reading involves engaging with the text by highlighting, underlining, and taking notes. Reviewing and summarizing involves reflecting on the material and condensing the main points in your own words.

3. How can I improve my academic reading skills?

There are several ways to improve your academic reading skills. First, practice regularly by reading a variety of academic texts. Second, develop a reading plan or strategy that works best for you. Third, actively engage with the material by taking notes and asking questions. Fourth, try to understand the author's purpose and main arguments. Finally, seek feedback from professors or peers to identify areas for improvement.

4. Is it important to adjust my academic reading strategy based on the type of text?

Yes, it is important to adjust your academic reading strategy based on the type of text you are reading. For example, a scientific research paper may require a more focused and analytical approach, while a literature review may require a more critical and reflective approach. It is important to understand the purpose and structure of the text in order to determine the most effective reading strategy.

5. Can an academic reading strategy be used for all types of reading materials?

While an academic reading strategy can be useful for a wide range of reading materials, it may not be applicable to all types of texts. For example, reading for leisure or entertainment may not require the same level of active engagement and note-taking as academic texts. It is important to adapt your reading strategy based on the purpose and type of reading material.