What is your belief about life?

• Thread starter victorhugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discussed different theories on how life began, including a 'cosmic accident' and the possibility of it being a self-sustaining pattern. The topic of spirituality and specific religions was also brought up, along with the speaker's personal journey of questioning their beliefs. The conversation ended with the acknowledgement that there is no concrete evidence to support any belief, and the discussion was closed due to the forum's guidelines.
victorhugo
A 'cosmic accident' (any of the theories that attempt to describe how life started) that is just a self-sustaining pattern of passing on a genetic code?
Spirituality?
A specific religion?
A computer simulation?

And of course, what evidence made you come to a rational conclusion to your belief?

I've been raised Christian all my childhood but as I grew older so did my questions. I gradually began to let go and before I knew it I found myself close to being an atheist.
I honestly don't have anything I believe in just because I can't confirm if any of it is true. There are many possible outcomes, including as just being a meaningless self-sustaining pattern that came to be by chance and will disappear along with the universe. But I honestly doubt that is all there is to this whole experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but we do not discuss philosophy or religion on PF.

Thread closed.

1. What do you believe is the purpose of life?

I believe that the purpose of life is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some may believe it is to find happiness, others may believe it is to fulfill a certain destiny or purpose, and some may believe it is simply to exist and experience the world around us.

2. Do you believe in an afterlife?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it falls outside of the realm of scientific study. However, personally, I do not believe in an afterlife as there is no scientific evidence to support its existence.

3. How do you reconcile science and religion in your beliefs about life?

I view science and religion as two different ways of understanding and interpreting the world. As a scientist, I rely on empirical evidence and the scientific method to understand the universe, while religion relies on faith and belief in a higher power. I believe that both can coexist and offer valuable insights into the complexities of life.

4. What role do you think humans play in the grand scheme of life?

I believe that humans are a small part of a much larger ecosystem and have a responsibility to coexist with other living beings and the environment. We have the ability to make a positive impact on the world and should strive to do so through our actions and choices.

5. Is there a specific belief system that guides your understanding of life?

As a scientist, my understanding of life is based on evidence and scientific principles rather than a specific belief system. However, I do value certain principles such as empathy, curiosity, and open-mindedness, which guide my approach to understanding the world and life.