What job would you choose if you could do anything?

• Thread starter Siberion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary: Toy tester.I applied about a decade ago for a job to have tests run on me while I sleep for eight hours a night at $11/hr. That was definitely my dream job as a teenager.
Siberion
Let's dream a little bit. If you could choose any job in the world, related to your field or not, or even invent a new one, what would you prefer to do for a living? Or perhaps you have already found what suits you the most...

If I could choose any job in the world, I'd love to run a science/philosophy TV program, and deliver knowledge to the public. In my country (Chile) there are not many successful tv shows which can actually captivate people's attention and teach them the beauty of nature. It'd be really fascinating for me to have the chance to show people that reality itself is by far much more exciting and important than the numerous garbage programs that tv is filled with! Ah well...

What would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be that guy who does highly detailed/complex textbook art/figures/diagrams.

Siberion said:
Let's dream a little bit. If you could choose any job in the world, related to your field or not, or even invent a new one, what would you prefer to do for a living? Or perhaps you have already found what suits you the most...

If I could choose any job in the world, I'd love to run a science/philosophy TV program, and deliver knowledge to the public. In my country (Chile) there are not many successful tv shows which can actually captivate people's attention and teach them the beauty of nature. It'd be really fascinating for me to have the chance to show people that reality itself is by far much more exciting and important than the numerous garbage programs that tv is filled with! Ah well...

What would you choose?

Maybe you could start doing it on youtube, just for fun. If it catches on, and you get lots of hits, who knows where it could lead.

I'd be an archaeologist.

Mathematics professor at a university. Why would you want any other job than that?:biggrin:

1) Person who goes around the globe and study endangered cultures.

2) Person who study whales or other wild animals

3) Person who devises complex public - domestic and international - policies

I would want Indiana Jones's job.

Evo said:
I'd be an archaeologist.

What would you dig? :biggrin:

rootX said:
What would you dig? :biggrin:
Anything old, really old. Hopefully that was against everything we believe.

(1)Philanthropist.

Seriously...I have a lot of projects I'd like to do around town. For example: I would love to purchase abandoned property and cultivate little parks or playgrounds; and then dedicate them back to the city.(2) Voice of a cartoon character. I can do some impressions of family and friends.Most of all...

(3) Automotive engineer & designer.

I think being a preschool teacher would be a lot of fun.

lisab said:
I think being a preschool teacher would be a lot of fun.

There is one near me and I always wonder don't they get sick of children ... :rofl:

Imagine dealing with them all day long and then what if you have deal with one at home .. so you will be working 24/7

I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing for now, though it's only a short-term job and I may or may not be happy with the next one. For the long run, I don't really know. There are a lot of jobs I would consider "dream" jobs, starting with being a college professor, but that's just a hell of an investment with a low chance of success. More realistically, I've looked into jobs with the Treasury investigating international financial crimes. Less realistically, something like an economic/financial analyst for an international body like BASEL or the IMF.

I'm currently a tank platoon leader, for some perspective on what I think is for now a pretty cool job to have. Commanding a small pack of 70-ton vehicles carrying 120mm main guns is certainly an empowering feeling. It makes cubicle life very, very boring.

lumberjack

QC for Lindt.

JLo's masseuse.

(somebody had to pipe up...)

medgar said:
lumberjack

How many people are singing the Monty Python song in their heads now?

Jimmy Snyder said:
QC for Lindt.

Ha ha. I used to manage a Lindt store and that was a very agreeable job.

Mattress tester.

I actually applied about a decade ago for a job to have tests run on me while I sleep for eight hours a night at $11/hr. That was definitely my dream job as a teenager.

loseyourname said:
I actually applied about a decade ago for a job to have tests run on me while I sleep for eight hours a night at $11/hr. That was definitely my dream job as a teenager.
Well it would be a dream job wouldn't it?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Well it would be a dream job wouldn't it?

:biggrin:

One of those people who tests toys for toy companies. I don't know if this is a real job because I saw it in a Hollywood movie a long time ago. They probably give the toys to a test group of kids to play with. Who wouldn't want to sit around all day playing computer games and get paid for it?

An adventure guide in a remote wilderness by day and proprietor of a fine basement bar by night.

<3

Assistant or helper to a seriously, genuinly smart and good person.

Counting my [STRIKE]millions[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]billions[/STRIKE] trillions and figuring out how to spend it.

Evo said:
I'd be an archaeologist.

You can't Evo! 'older than dust', remember! Unless you want to dig yourself. :biggrin:

Lacy33 said:
Assistant or helper to a seriously, genuinly smart and good person.

I'm good with what I do right now, but I wouldn't mind to do that, actually I'll be happy to do so. :smile:

micromass said:
Mathematics professor at a university. Why would you want any other job than that?:biggrin:

Cuz physics is better? :wink:

In the "Green Hornet" special episode of Mythbusters, Adam Savage turned to the camera (while testing his hood-mounted paintball machine gun) and said
"You so wish you were me right now!"

Bingo.

Evo said:
Anything old, really old. Hopefully that was against everything we believe.

you mean like you would like to unearth a UFO?

I'd choose to be a homework helper on PF.

Oh wait! That dream already came true! :biggrin:

lisab said:
How many people are singing the Monty Python song in their heads now?

mmmm hmmmmm!...

It would be interesting to go back in time and say yes (instead of no) to working with _______ and become a rich and famous musician. But I really enjoy not being known... So that would only be enjoyable if I could be anonymous.

Or maybe something like Mother Theresa, working with the needy of the world, teaching them permaculture and education.

Oooh! One more possibility. A while ago, there was something about a Caribbean island for sale with lots of native parrots living on it. Running around on warm sandy beaches with nearly no clothes on, taking care of birds, and growing plenty veggies and tropical fruits. Yeah, that could be fun also. I think that would be it.

drizzle said:
You can't Evo! 'older than dust', remember! Unless you want to dig yourself. :biggrin:
Turbo said I broke the rocks that created dirt. :tongue2:

Lacy33 said:
you mean like you would like to unearth a UFO?
That would be cool.

Assuming it would make enough money to live on, professional student. I wouldn't care about the degrees, but would take classes that would qualify me for advanced degrees in: philosophy, music, art, religion, anthropology, mathematics, physics, theater, film, astronomy, medicine...yeah, I;m a a wannabe Renaissance man.

drizzle said: