What jobs are there to do with space?

In summary, the person is from the UK and is currently deciding on their A-level topics. They are interested in pursuing a career related to space but are not familiar with the available job options. They also mention their desire to move to the USA and wonder if such a job would be in demand there. They are seeking information on job opportunities, salary, and university programs for studying space-related fields. They express their fascination with space and ask for any advice or recommendations. A suggested starting point is provided in the form of a link to a website about UK space investments.
ogb
I'm from the UK and soon to be choosing my A-level topics.
I'd like to go into a career to do with space, but know little about what jobs there are.

Also I'd like to move to the USA, would a job like this be wanted in the USA? (So that I would be able to get a visa).

If anybody has any information about jobs in this area such as salary etc. I'd really appreciate it.

I also need some information about what I'd have to study at University, and what uni's are good for studying something like this.

Space and the Universe intrigues me, so it's something I'd like to do.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, personally, that the most fun to study would be astronomy or astrophysics. But that's just me. Look around, I'm sure you'll find something.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.astrium.eads.net/en/in-uk/

There are some big investments in UK space. All relatively small compared to our US friends of course but good news for someone like yourself just starting out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What jobs are there to do with space?

1. What type of scientist jobs are available in the field of space exploration?

There are various types of scientist jobs available in the field of space exploration, such as astrophysicists, astrobiologists, planetary scientists, aerospace engineers, and remote sensing scientists. Each job involves a different area of study and specialization within the field of space.

2. Are there any engineering jobs related to space exploration?

Yes, there are many engineering jobs related to space exploration, including aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and software engineering. These engineers are responsible for designing and building spacecraft, as well as developing new technologies for space exploration.

3. What are some non-scientist jobs in the space industry?

There are several non-scientist jobs in the space industry, such as astronauts, mission controllers, spaceflight trainers, and space tourism guides. These jobs involve working directly with spacecraft and astronauts, as well as educating the public about space exploration.

4. What skills are required for a career in the space industry?

Skills required for a career in the space industry vary depending on the job, but some common skills include strong mathematics and science abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and teamwork skills. Many jobs also require advanced degrees and specialized training in the field of space science.

5. Are there any opportunities for non-scientists to work in the space industry?

Yes, there are opportunities for non-scientists to work in the space industry, particularly in engineering, technology, and business roles. Many companies and organizations involved in space exploration also have administrative, marketing, and human resources positions available. Additionally, there are volunteer and internship opportunities for those interested in gaining experience in the field.