What kind of formula is this and how is it to be retraced?

• Thread starter SansaStark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is discussing the cancellation of a specific part of a long equation in the context of a random walk process. The question is whether or not this part equals zero and therefore can be canceled out. The conversation also mentions considering the direction of particle movement in a random walk.
SansaStark
This is basic maths but I kind of forgot how to retrace such an equation.
My question is: why does "+-2*xi(n-1)*delta" which is in the middle of the first long equation cancle out? I'm thankful for an answer!
upload_2016-1-2_19-2-34.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The context is missing, but I'll guess that this is random walk?
For a random walk process, what do you think is the average displacement?
Another way to look at it would be to consider the [itex]\pm[/itex] signs - how many particles do you think will move in the + direction and how many in the - direction?

Last edited:
Yeah, it is the random walk! :)
Do you mean that the middle part equals zero (all negatives and positive deltas are on average 0) and that's why it can be canceled out?
I thought it was some formula like (a+b)(a-b) where it's a²-ab+ab-b² where the inner parts just cancels out each other.

Related to What kind of formula is this and how is it to be retraced?

1. What is a formula?

A formula is a mathematical expression that shows the relationship between different variables or quantities. It is used to calculate or predict the value of a specific variable based on the values of other variables.

2. How can I determine what kind of formula I am working with?

To determine the type of formula, you need to analyze the variables and their relationship in the equation. Some common types of formulas include linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric formulas. You can also consult a math textbook or a teacher for assistance.

3. What is the purpose of retracing a formula?

Retracing a formula involves calculating the original values of the variables used in the formula. This is useful for checking the accuracy of the formula or verifying the results obtained from it.

4. What are the steps to retrace a formula?

The steps to retrace a formula depend on the type of formula and the available information. In general, you will need to rearrange the formula to solve for the desired variable and then substitute the known values to find the missing variable. It may also involve simplifying or manipulating the equation using algebraic operations.

5. Are there any tools or resources available to help with retracing a formula?

Yes, there are various online calculators and software programs that can assist with retracing a formula. You can also use a graphing calculator or a spreadsheet program to input the formula and solve for the variables. Additionally, there are many math tutorials and guides available online that can help you understand and retrace different types of formulas.