What kind of internet access is most reliable in natural disaster?

In summary, the main reason to get satellite internet is to avoid blackouts during local disasters. However, satellite internet is more expensive and it's not always reliable.
Rive said:
Do not overly rely on solar panels (and battery). You can't stock up spare sunshine.
Generators and spare fuel tanks might feel outdated but they still kicking where reliability is important.
Agree, as long as the generator is tested regularly and the fuel is replaced before it gets old.

Likes russ_watters and Rive
Computer science news on Phys.org
glappkaeft said:
Agree, as long as the generator is tested regularly and the fuel is replaced before it gets old.
There are fuel additives that are used when storing cars for long periods. If I recall correctly, they slow down/prevent the gasoline from turning to a gel when the volatiles evaporate and it absorbs moisture.

It was (is still?) recommended to start the engine monthly if you can. That is to get fresher gas into the carburetor and also freshens the oil layer on the engine internals.

Cheers,
Tom

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
Do these generators use has as in gasoline or has as in natural gas? I thought they were mostly natural gas, at least around here.

As for whether solar is appropriate, I think that again ghoes back to the unspecified parameters of the disaster. It's one thing to keep your refrigerator going for a day. Its another thing to keep your whole house going for a month.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do these generators use has as in gasoline or has as in natural gas? I thought they were mostly natural gas, at least around here.
As you noted, the fuel varies by region, climate, availability, and cost; also there are tradeoffs about reliability.

edit:
For instance propane does not work in cold weather, its boilng point is too high.
/edit:

For instance if natural gas is used, is it stored on site or would you be counting on underground gas pipelines for delivery? (hopefully not near an Earthquake fault)

For on site storage consider what disaster(s) the storage device would have to withstand.

If storing on site, maybe consider energy density of the fuel versus higher equipment costs. For instance diesel fuel has about 10% higher energy than gasoline, but a diesel engine purchase price is higher than its gasoline counterpart, it also tends to have a longer operating life.

When a disaster hits, which fuel is likely to be more available in your area?

Anyhow, those are my stream-of-consciousness thoughts on the subject.

As my momma used to say:
"Get all the advice you can, then do as you d*mn please!"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, Rive and hutchphd
After Hurricane Sandy in 2012, here in suburban central New Jersey, many people (including me) lost cell signal for several days. Some people were able to get AT&T signals by driving a bit. The point is, do not assume your cell signal will work after a disaster--it might, or it might not, depending on many factors. Thankfully, our local library had a generator and some kind of internet working and, with a long wait in a queue, we were able to message out to family not to worry. We were without power for 4 days, and it was cold but thankfully just above freezing, so the pipes didn't freeze.

I think a generator and satellite service would be the way to go if you can afford it and really mean not to be out of touch, because the satellite itself is least likely to be affected by most ground-based disasters.

Unfortunately, because I live in a condominium, a generator is not an option for me. However, there are some pretty hefty batteries these days that might drive a satellite link for many hours. I think, too, the cell companies did some major upgrades after Sandy to try and do better next time, but disasters are, by definition, unpredictable in their effects.

Unfortunately, we never got clarification on what scale of disaster the OP was trying to address. People tried to ask. A solution that mitigates a half-day power outage over a small area is not the same as one that mitigates against a many-day outage over a large area.

Likes Tom.G
Tom.G said:
If storing on site, maybe consider energy density of the fuel versus higher equipment costs. For instance diesel fuel has about 10% higher energy than gasoline, but a diesel engine purchase price is higher than its gasoline counterpart, it also tends to have a longer operating life.

Diesel is also much safer to store, it is not nearly as volatile as gasoline.

gmax137 said:
Diesel ... gasoline.
I would chose based on my car.
Whichever you have, you need to replace it regularly.
And the best way to get rid of the old is to properly use it.

Rive said:
I would chose based on my car.
Whichever you have, you need to replace it regularly.
And the best way to get rid of the old is to properly use it.
That is a good point. Still, I would not want to have half a dozen jerry cans of gasoline in my basement or garage. Diesel (aka #2 fuel oil) is routinely stored in basement tanks and in boats. Safe As Milk.