What kind of matter formed Primordial Blackholes?

In summary, the article suggests that in the early stages of the universe, space was not completely uniform and some regions were denser and hotter than others. This could have resulted in the collapse of these denser regions to form primordial black holes. However, this is still a hypothetical concept and has not been confirmed through observations.
Mlesnita Daniel
I read somewhere "space was not completely homogenous (the same at every point). Instead, some areas were denser and hotter than others, and these dense regions could have collapsed into black holes." and I was wondering what does it exactly means?

Did space itself fall into becoming PBHs (primordial black holes) or it means that the matter that WAS IN space was denser and it collapsed to form such objects?

Thank you!

Edit: Where I read it: https://astronomy.com/news/2019/07/primordial-black-holes

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mlesnita Daniel said:
I read somewhere
Where? Please provide a reference - it helps us to know what you know when we're answering.

Mlesnita Daniel said:
Did space itself fall into becoming PBHs (primordial black holes) or it means that the matter that WAS IN space was denser and it collapsed to form such objects
The matter. "Space itself" isn't really a concept that makes sense in general relativity. The density of matter in the early universe wasn't completely uniform, and if it varied enough it's possible that the densest bits collapsed to form black holes. I don't believe that the signatures of such things have been detected, but I don't think they are ruled out.

Likes Mlesnita Daniel
I put the reference in an edit now, thanks for pointing out and thank you for clarifying!:)

The article should answer your questions.

I agree with the OP that the article is misleadingly phrased. It says:
astronomy.com said:
in that fraction of a second after the universe itself began, space was not completely homogenous (the same at every point). Instead, some areas were denser and hotter than others, and these dense regions could have collapsed into black holes.
That does read (incorrectly) like space is collapsing to form black holes. This part isn't making a clear distinction between space being non-homogeneous (true, with a certain amount of glossing over complicated topics) and the matter in space being non-homogeneous (also true). The two facts are inextricably related, but aren't exactly the same statement.

Maybe they were trying to avoid saying "matter"? It wasn't matter in the colloquial sense of a bunch of atoms. But it was the stuff that eventually cooled down (the bits of it that didn't fall into these hypothetical primordial black holes, anyway) to form matter and radiation as we see it today.

1. What is Primordial Blackhole?

Primordial Blackholes are small, dense objects that are thought to have formed in the early universe, shortly after the Big Bang. They are different from the blackholes that form from the collapse of massive stars, as they are much smaller and have a different formation process.

2. What kind of matter formed Primordial Blackholes?

The exact type of matter that formed Primordial Blackholes is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that they were formed from the collapse of high-density regions in the early universe, while others propose that they were created from exotic particles called "quark nuggets."

3. How do Primordial Blackholes differ from regular blackholes?

Primordial Blackholes are significantly smaller than regular blackholes, with masses ranging from a few grams to several hundred thousand times the mass of the sun. They also have a different formation process and are thought to have different properties, such as not having an event horizon.

4. Can Primordial Blackholes be detected?

Currently, there is no direct evidence of the existence of Primordial Blackholes, but scientists are actively searching for ways to detect them. Some proposed methods include gravitational lensing, gravitational waves, and gamma-ray bursts.

5. What is the significance of studying Primordial Blackholes?

Studying Primordial Blackholes can provide valuable insights into the early universe and the formation of structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies. It can also help us better understand the nature of dark matter, as Primordial Blackholes have been proposed as a possible candidate for dark matter. Furthermore, the detection of Primordial Blackholes would provide evidence for the existence of exotic particles and could potentially open up new avenues for research in physics and cosmology.