What lives in washing machines and eats aluminium alloy?

In summary, the washing machine stopped spinning, so I dismantled it. I found that it was corroded and that the aluminum had corroded onto the steel.
marcophys
The washing machine stopped spinning, so I dismantled it.
Here's what I found:

I'm thinking it might have become a big battery, as the steel drive shaft was embedded in the alloy drive bracket, which in turn had 6 studs bolting it to the stainless steel drum.
It was all enclosed in the sealed water drum.

What I find interesting is the extent of the disintegration.
Also interesting is the design failure.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Electrolytic corrosion sound plausible. Add high temperatures, high concentrations of ions (increasing water conductivity) and alkaline conditions (typical in many washing powder recipes) and it is a disaster waiting to happen.

Likes symbolipoint
Add in the 'cheapness' factor...

ebos said:
Add in the 'cheapness' factor...

Or perhaps it was designed to fail.

You might want to try to get a report on the local water chemistry. (This is probably available from some town/county agency or somesuch). Dissolved minerals, gas content, &c could be playing a meaningful role in facilitating this process.

diogenesNY

Likes symbolipoint
Completely normal for aluminum bolted to steel. The corrosion is concentrated along grain edges, so the aluminum disintegrates. I saw a lot of this working in the cable industry along the California coast. The cases for amplifiers were aluminum and the connectors steel. After a couple years in the salt spray, the case would fall apart when you tried to remove a connector.

I think I recognize the washing machine. A friend had one fail like that and the hub was caked with residue from the powdered detergent she used.

dschlink said:
Completely normal for aluminum bolted to steel.
Yeah -- isn't this just a standard case of what happens if you join dissimilar metals? I.e., according to the Galvanic series. The aluminium needs to be electrically isolated from the steel somehow. Sometimes plastic washers can help. There's also some paint-on goop available in marine supply stores, intended for essentially the same problem in boats, where you often want to use SS fasteners between Al sections.

What lives in washing machines and eats aluminium alloy?

There are a variety of organisms that could potentially live in a washing machine and consume aluminium alloy. Some common examples include bacteria, fungi, and insects.

Is it harmful to have something living in my washing machine that eats aluminium alloy?

It is generally not harmful to have organisms living in your washing machine that consume aluminium alloy. However, if they are causing damage to the machine or its components, it may be necessary to take steps to remove them.

How do organisms end up in washing machines?

Organisms can enter washing machines through a variety of means, such as being brought in on clothing or entering through small openings in the machine. They may also be present in the water supply.

Can I prevent organisms from living in my washing machine?

There are some steps you can take to reduce the likelihood of organisms living in your washing machine. These include regularly cleaning and maintaining the machine, avoiding leaving wet clothing inside for extended periods, and using hot water and detergent when washing clothes.

What should I do if I suspect there are organisms living in my washing machine?

If you believe there are organisms living in your washing machine, you may want to consider cleaning the machine thoroughly and using a disinfectant. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to seek professional help or replace the machine.