What makes a superposition of states a coherent superposition?

In summary, according to this article, spontaneous emission from a single initial state may give rise to a coherent superposition of two (or more) receiving states. However, there can't be any interference between these states because the relative phase between them cancels out.
vtahmoorian
Hi everyone
I am investigating spontaneously generated coherence(SGC), I found that it happens when an excited atomic state decays to one or more closed atomic levels so that atom goes to a coherent superposition of states , Effect of State Superpositions Created by Spontaneous Emission on Laser-Driven Transitions.
J. JAVANAINEN
Europhys. Lett., 17 (5), pp. 407-412 (1992)

according to this article "spontaneous emission from a single
initial state may give rise to a coherent superposition of two (or more) receiving states
"..
Now I have a question,
I am wondering when can we call a superposition of states a coherent one?

Physics news on Phys.org
In QM, you can usually specify a set of physically relevant observables ##\mathcal A##. A superposition ##\left|\psi\right> = \alpha \left|\psi_1\right> + \beta \left|\psi_2\right>## is said to be a coherent superposition of ##\left|\psi_1\right>## and ##\left|\psi_2\right>## if there is an ##A\in\mathcal A## such that ##\left<\psi_1\right|A\left|\psi_2\right> \neq 0##.

The reason for this definition is that if there is no such ##A##, the state can't be physically distinguished from the statistical mixture ##\rho = |\alpha|^2 \left|\psi_1\right>\left<\psi_1\right|+|\beta|^2 \left|\psi_2\right>\left<\psi_2\right|##.

Thank you dear Rubi
I understand your first statement , it is related to the coherence condition,which is,having non zero off-diagonal elements of density matrix operator, right?
but can you explain more about your second statement?

Likes yucheng
The density matrix corresponding to the state ##\left|\psi\right>## from my earlier post would be ##\rho_\psi = \left|\psi\right>\left<\psi\right|##. It differs from the ##\rho## I wrote earlier in the off-diagonal terms: ##\rho_\psi = \rho + \alpha\beta^*\left|\psi_1\right>\left<\psi_2\right| + \alpha^*\beta\left|\psi_2\right>\left<\psi_1\right|##. However, for all physical observables ##A\in\mathcal A##, the expectation values are the same: ##\mathrm{Tr}(\rho_\psi A) = \mathrm{Tr}(\rho A)##. The off-diagonal terms don't contribute since ##\left<\psi_1\right|A\left|\psi_2\right> = 0##, so the pure state ##\rho_\psi## can't be physically distinguished from the mixed state ##\rho##. One says that ##\left|\psi_1\right>## and ##\left|\psi_2\right>## lie in different superselection sectors. From the form of ##\rho##, you can see that the relative phase between ##\left|\psi_1\right>## and ##\left|\psi_2\right>## cancels out completely, so there can't be any interference.

Related to What makes a superposition of states a coherent superposition?

1. What is a superposition of states?

A superposition of states is a quantum phenomenon where a particle can exist in multiple states or positions at the same time. This is in contrast to classical physics, where a particle can only exist in one state at any given time.

2. What makes a superposition of states coherent?

In a coherent superposition, the different states that the particle exists in are in a fixed relationship with each other. This means that the states will interfere constructively, leading to observable effects such as interference patterns.

3. Can any particle exist in a coherent superposition of states?

Yes, any particle with quantum properties, such as electrons, photons, or atoms, can exist in a coherent superposition of states.

4. How is a coherent superposition of states different from a classical mixture of states?

A coherent superposition is a quantum phenomenon, while a classical mixture of states is a probabilistic combination of different states. In a coherent superposition, the particle exists in all states simultaneously, while in a classical mixture, the particle is in only one state at a time.

5. What is the significance of coherent superposition in quantum computing?

Coherent superposition is a fundamental concept in quantum computing, as it allows for the creation of quantum bits (qubits) that can represent more information and perform more complex calculations than classical bits. Qubits rely on being in a coherent superposition of states to perform operations such as quantum gates and algorithms.