What makes phase space special?

In summary, phase space is a 6N dimensional space that includes both position and momentum variables, while configuration space is only a 3N dimensional space with only position variables. The reason for using phase space coordinates is to have a unique state for each point in the space, rather than having multiple states in the same point in configuration space. While it is possible to set up a symplectic structure with configuration space coordinates, using phase space coordinates results in more symmetrical forms of Hamilton's equations.
thegreenlaser
In Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics, what is it that makes phase space special compared to configuration space? As a simple example, if I use ## q ## as my generalized position and ## v = \dot{q} ## as my generalized momentum, then the Hamiltonian
[tex] H = \frac{1}{2} v^2 + \frac{1}{m} V(q) [/tex]
gives the correct dynamics. Yet we always seem make a big deal out of transitioning from configuration space ## (q, \dot{q} ) ## to phase space ## (q, m \dot{q} ) ##. Is there something about the phase space coordinates ## (q, \dot{q} ) ## that doesn't work? (From a mathematical point of view, is it maybe impossible to set up a symplectic structure with those coordinates?)

To put it another way, if I arbitrarily pick variables to be my generalized momentum and position and I can find a Hamiltonian which gives the correct dynamics in terms of those variables, is that sufficient to guarantee I've set up a phase space correctly (symplectic structure and all)?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two points I should say in this respect:
1) Configuration space is not something like phase space with the only difference of having ## \dot q ##s instead of ##p##s. Consider N particles moving in three dimensional space. Their configuration space is a 3N dimensional space where each dimension is either x,y or z of one of the particles. But phase space is the 6N dimensional space where you add the components of the momenta of the particles as the dimensions of the space too.
2) The point of having a 6N dimensional space instead of a 3N dimensional space is that in the former, each point of the space is a unique state of the system while you may have distinct states being in the same point in a 3N dimensional space. But you may still choose ##q##s and ##\dot q##s for the 6N dimensional space. The reason people use qs and ps instead, is that Hamilton's equations take more symmetrical forms in terms of these variables.

1. What is phase space?

Phase space is a mathematical concept used to describe the state of a physical system. It is a multidimensional space in which each point represents a unique combination of all the variables that define the system.

2. What makes phase space special?

Phase space is special because it allows us to visualize and analyze the behavior of a system over time, taking into account all of its variables. It also allows us to make predictions about the future behavior of the system.

3. How is phase space different from physical space?

Physical space refers to the three-dimensional space we live in, while phase space can have an infinite number of dimensions. In physical space, we can only observe the position and movement of objects, whereas in phase space, we can also consider other variables such as momentum, energy, and temperature.

4. What is the significance of phase space in physics?

Phase space is a fundamental concept in physics, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is particularly useful in studying systems that exhibit chaotic behavior, such as weather patterns and the motion of celestial bodies.

5. Can phase space be applied to fields other than physics?

Yes, phase space can be applied to fields such as engineering, chemistry, and economics. Any system that can be described by a set of variables can be represented in phase space. It is a versatile tool for analyzing and understanding the behavior of dynamic systems.