What Makes Radiation Significant?

In summary: It looks like someone tried to fix them up but didn't quite get it right.In summary, the equation on the exam was wrong, and it seems someone tried to fix it up but didn't quite get it right.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
It is a question from 2000 SIN exam, the solution does not make sense to me. I would like to know if someone can explain it, many thanks!
Relevant Equations
P=AT^4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

How would you approach the problem? We need you to show your efforts before we can offer tutorial assistance.

It would help if you could indicate what part is not making sense to you.
Do you understand that the received power is FA sin(θ)?
Do you understand that if the absolute temperature is T then the emitted power is 2AσT4?
Do you understand that the two will be equal in steady state?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

How would you approach the problem? We need you to show your efforts before we can offer tutorial assistance.
Sorry. Since I am a secondary school student, I am unfamiliar with this question. Now I undserstand that the equation on the exam was wrong, thank you very much.

haruspex said:
It would help if you could indicate what part is not making sense to you.
Do you understand that the received power is FA sin(θ)?
Do you understand that if the absolute temperature is T then the emitted power is 2AσT4?
Do you understand that the two will be equal in steady state?
I find out the equation was incorrect, thank you and have a good day.

Likes berkeman
Leo Liu said:
I find out the equation was incorrect, thank you and have a good day.
In what way? It looks right to me. Who says it is wrong?

haruspex said:
In what way? It looks right to me. Who says it is wrong?

Leo Liu said:
Ah, that equation. I thought you meant the one in the answer.

If you look carefully at the way it is printed you will see there is a suspicious extra blank between the A and the T, and again in "constant =". Seems the text went through a processing stage that couldn't handle Greek characters. Likewise, none of the superscripting works.

Watch out for the same errors in the other questions.

Likes Leo Liu and berkeman

1. Why is radiation important in medical treatments?

Radiation is used in medical treatments, such as radiation therapy, to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. It is also used in imaging techniques, like X-rays and CT scans, to diagnose and monitor diseases.

2. How does radiation benefit society?

Aside from medical uses, radiation also has numerous industrial, agricultural, and scientific applications. It is used in food processing, sterilization, and power generation. It is also used in scientific research to study the structure of materials and the universe.

3. Is radiation harmful to humans?

High levels of radiation can be harmful to humans, causing damage to cells and DNA. However, low levels of radiation are a natural part of our environment and are not harmful. Proper safety measures and regulations are in place to protect individuals from excessive exposure to radiation.

4. How does radiation affect the environment?

Radiation can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. It can be harmful to plants and animals if levels are too high, but it can also be used to control pests and diseases in agriculture. Radiation is also used in environmental monitoring to study air, water, and soil quality.

5. What are the risks associated with exposure to radiation?

The risk of exposure to radiation depends on various factors such as the type of radiation, duration of exposure, and distance from the source. Acute high-level exposure can cause immediate health effects, while long-term exposure to low levels of radiation may increase the risk of cancer. However, the risks can be minimized with proper safety measures and monitoring.