What materials are transparent to infrared light?

In summary, materials that are transparent to infrared light include glass, water, and certain types of plastics. These materials allow for the transmission of infrared radiation without significant absorption or scattering, making them useful for applications such as thermal imaging and remote sensing. Other materials, such as metals and opaque materials, are not transparent to infrared light and can block or reflect it. The transparency of a material to infrared light depends on its chemical composition and molecular structure, and can be influenced by factors such as thickness and surface treatment.
practicalphysicsnoob
How did you find PF?
Google search
Came across this forum wanted to state first I have no background in physics but have been reading through a lot of these articles and would like to learn more. I just posted a thread on a question I had about materials that passthrough IR. Looking forward to seeing more posts with individuals much smarter than I am.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:
Thank you! Hoping to learn a lot, I dropped out of college to run a business but now I have been diving back into science/physics for practical means and curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator: