What P2P money app do you use?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    App Money
In summary, most people use either paypal or a credit card to spend money. There are a few people who still use cash, but it is mostly obsolete. Most people find using a credit card easier and more convenient. There are only a few foreseeable issues with using a phone to spend money, such as security and access to the phone.

What P2P money app do you use?

• PayPal

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Venmo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Google Wallet

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Facebook Payment

• Apple Pay

• Zelle

• Square Cash

• Dwolla

• Various big bank apps

• Other

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
I've long used Paypal, but now there are so many money transfer apps out there. Most seem redundant and I get really annoyed how friends and family ask me to sign up for an app just so they can send me like $20. Anyone else feel the same? What do you use?

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Cash, my wife gives it to me to spend in $20 increments.
haha! I've tried to go cash free. I use credit for everything to get reward points.

I like cash -- I like to have some "walkin' around money" on hand at all times. The gas station where I usually fill up used to take cash, but doesn't do so any more. Now I have to either use my debit card at the pump or go inside twice -- once to pay and once again to get change if I didn't guess correctly on the amount to put in. It irks me to have to wait in line for the people buying a lottery ticket and a pack of smokes, and paying with their credit card, which requires sending their data off somewhere via a slow modem to verify that their account is real and they're not over their credit limit. Cash is much quicker.

Likes Grands
Mark44 said:
Cash is much quicker.
It's also not accruing interest, not awarding reward points and can easily be lost or stolen. When I take out cash, it's like it's already been spent. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's also not accruing interest, not awarding reward points and can easily be lost or stolen. When I take out cash, it's like it's already been spent. [emoji2]
I agree, I think cash is a thing of a past. Any logical being can reason that using credit/paytm/PayPal/etc is better.

Only foreseeable issues with using maybe a phone to spend money is security and access to the phone. However with increasing mobile security, I can expect that problem to disappear.

Of course, as a millennial teenager, I have new world opinions. I always found receiving allowances in cash quite annoying. It bulks up and gets messy.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's also not accruing interest, not awarding reward points and can easily be lost or stolen. When I take out cash, it's like it's already been spent. :smile:
The current interest rates at bank savings and checking accounts are only marginally greater than zero. Credit cards, debit cards, and smart phones can also be lost or stolen, but if you lose cash, you're only out that amount of money. Not so with credit or debit cards, which require you to contact the bank to freeze the account.

Another advantage to cash is that in some sort of emergency, it can be spent the same as always. If what you spend requires electronic validation, and the power is out (as in Atlanta this past weekend), you're out of luck. For these advantages, I can forgo reward points.

Likes Grands and Greg Bernhardt
I have a PayPal account, but I use it only for buying stuff on web sites that don't have the option to pay directly via a credit card. PayPal passes those transactions straight through to my credit card.

We pay the tradespeople who do our yard work and house repairs, using that ancient biodegradable app: paper checks.

Some stores and restaurants around here (small town in the boondocks) now accept Apple Pay and maybe some other apps, but my iPhone 5S doesn't support Apple Pay. When I finally get around to upgrading my phone, I'll have to try that.

Otherwise, I use a credit card for almost everything, except small stuff like a newspaper or small bag of chips at the corner store. I still like to carry $100 or so in cash in my wallet, "just in case."

lekh2003 said:
I agree, I think cash is a thing of a past. Any logical being can reason that using credit/paytm/PayPal/etc is better.
At one time in the past couple of years I had six motorcycles. Since I was running out of space to house them, I sold two of them -- cash. I would not have taken a check, and I'm not set up to accept credit cards. Of the four I have, all were cash deals. What they say is, "cash talks."

jtbell said:
I still like to carry $100 or so in cash in my wallet, "just in case."
Yeah, me too. That's my "walkin' around money."
lekh2003 said:
I always found receiving allowances in cash quite annoying.
That's sooooo sad... :cry:

1. What is a P2P money app?

A P2P (peer-to-peer) money app is a mobile application that allows individuals to send and receive money directly from each other without the need for a traditional financial institution.

2. How does a P2P money app work?

A P2P money app works by linking users' bank accounts or debit cards to the app, which then allows them to transfer money to other users using their email address or phone number. The app acts as a middleman, facilitating the transfer of funds between two individuals.

3. What are the benefits of using a P2P money app?

Some benefits of using a P2P money app include convenience (as users can easily send money from their phone), low or no fees, and faster transfer times compared to traditional methods like bank transfers or checks.

4. Are P2P money apps safe to use?

Most P2P money apps use encryption technology to protect users' personal and financial information. However, it is important to choose a reputable and secure app, and to be cautious when sending money to unfamiliar individuals.

5. What are some popular P2P money apps?

Some of the most popular P2P money apps include Venmo, PayPal, Cash App, Zelle, and Google Pay. It is important to research and compare these apps to determine which one best fits your needs.