What plant is the most useful one?

• Thread starter metaquantum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plant
In summary, a plant that is most useful is cannabis. It is well-suited to many puposes, i.e. cloth, paper, plastic, fiber, cosmetics, medicine, food production, and it grows in a very practical way.
metaquantum
What plant is the most useful one??

What plant is most useful? What plant would we benefit from having the most of?

If we chould have only one plant on the earth, which one should it be?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wheat maybe?

I'd vote for a fusion power plant.

Danger said:
I'd vote for a fusion power plant.

i said plant, not power plant

an organic natural thing that usually grows out of the earth...

Oh, you mean one of those things that less-evolved people eat...

I was actually thinking of a power plant when I first read this as well.

Does this include trees, vines, and bushes?

Does the word 'ecosystem' mean anything to you?

My plant of choice would be Amaranth, you can eat all of it, root,leafs and the grain can be made into breads.
You can read more about it here.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaranth

Silly to have one plant left, but that's the way things are going. I'd consider grapes. The leaf is edible, but even better it's a good food for livestock. The vines are really useful, flexible and strong.

I'd miss tomatos,though. MAybe if we engineered their vines to be stronger, I dunno. Such a sad question.

The most useful plant I can think of is cannabis. It is well-suited to many puposes i.e. cloth, paper, plastic, fiber, cosmetics, medicine, food production, and it grows in a very practical way.

The first time the phrase billion-dollar was applied to any US agricultural crop:

New Billion-Dollar Crop Popular Mechanics, February 1938

American farmers are promised new cash crop with an annual value of several hundred million dollars, all because a machine has been invented which solves a problem more than 6,000 years old. It is hemp, a crop that will not compete with other American products. Instead, it will displace imports of raw material and manufactured products produced by underpaid coolie and peasant labor and it will provide thousands of jobs for American workers throughout the land. The machine which makes this possible is designed for removing the fiber-bearing cortex from the rest of the stalk, making hemp fiber available for use without a prohibitive amount of human labor. Hemp is the standard fiber of the world. It has great tensile strength and durability. It is used to produce more than 5,000 textile products, ranging from rope to fine laces, and the woody "hurds" remaining after the fiber has been removed contains more than seventy-seven per cent cellulose, and can be used to produce more than 25,000 produces, ranging from dynamite to Cellophane.

Last edited:
I'd have to say corn, almost 600 products including tires, fuel, starch, food, sweetener, oil, plastics, cloth, etc...

http://www.ilcorn.org/Corn_Products/corn_products.html

Last edited by a moderator:
i nominate hemp & bamboo

I'd say chicken. Very tasty :smile:

Crosson said:
The most useful plant I can think of is cannabis. It is well-suited to many puposes i.e. cloth, paper, plastic, fiber, cosmetics, medicine, food production, and it grows in a very practical way.

The first time the phrase billion-dollar was applied to any US agricultural crop:
"New Billion-Dollar Crop Popular Mechanics, February 1938"

:smile: :smile: 1938! I guess we are still waiting for this to happen? :biggrin: What ever happened to this machine? Was it ever used anywhere in the world? Or was it a pipe dream?

Anyway, I'm sticking with corn.

Last edited:
The answer is obviously barley. Its edible and can be converted into the best stuff! (Beer and Scotch)

chemisttree said:
The answer is obviously barley. Its edible and can be converted into the best stuff! (Beer and Scotch)
And with enough beer and scotch, not much else matters. :-p

chemisttree said:

This is the real reason why I was thinking grapes:blushing:

A money tree would be useful :)

Art said:
A money tree would be useful :)

Don't be silly, you cannot eat money. What you really need is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_tree" .

out of whack said:
Don't be silly, you cannot eat money. What you really need is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_tree"

blue-green algee.

light_bulb said:
blue-green algee.
Which is not a plant. They're a phylum of bacteria.

hey, you know what you would never ever never ever ever NEVER NEVER EVER NEVER guess??

i was actually beeing serious with this thread. I am doing a project at home, (i have a lot of spare time) but i can't make up my mind on which plant is the most useful, for most purposes...

any serious replies would be greatly appreciated... and if i get done with it anytime this year, i could post it here on the forums, for you to read. if youre interested... thanks

(i propably should have mentioned this in the first post, but i got so hung up on the plant)

Last edited:
What ever happened to this machine?

1938 is the same year that it became illegal to cultivate hemp in the united states.

Was it ever used anywhere in the world?

Every industialized nation besides the USA uses hemp.

Or was it a pipe dream?

It is impossible to tell, because the legal issues make it difficult to continue research. From 1930 to 1938 the hemp industry doubled each year and now it is the only plant whose illegal status is not do to it being an "invasive species". I urge everyone to read the facts about this senseless prohibition, it is a story that the government does not want you to hear.

but i can't make up my mind on which plant is the most useful, for most purposes.

I would suggest aloe, it is a medical plant that can help heal burns and abrasions.

Last edited:
Crosson said:
Every industialized nation besides the USA uses hemp.
That's why it makes no sense why this "miracle machine" never appeared anywhere.

It is impossible to tell, because the legal issues make it difficult to continue research. From 1930 to 1938 the hemp industry doubled each year and now it is the only plant whose illegal status is not do to it being an "invasive species". I urge everyone to read the facts about this senseless prohibition, it is a story that the government does not want you to hear.
It's just another conspiracy theory that makes no sense.

phytoplankton! You need to consider all aspects of usefulness, and I would say the oceans need to be considered first, and terrestrial life secondly.

Types of plants would be grasses which includes wheat, rice, corn, barley, oats, sugar, sorghum and millet. Between them they account for 50% of humankinds calorie intake but if you have to specifically pick one of them I'd go for Evo's corn which has many other uses besides just food.

I think I'll go along with Evo's corn suggestion, mainly because with only one plant left, I'd want something that could sustain some livestock (not that they'd be in the best of health with only one plant for their entire diet, but enough to get me some meat to go with the corn). And when I got bored of nothing but steak, milk and corn, it would be time to set up the still.

roses people, just roses.

The money tree. Oops, Art got that.

How about the fabled "Tree of Knowledge".

Seriously, there is the possiblilty to hybrid a plant with every other known plant on the planet.

In fact they used to hybrid tomato plants with cannibus plants so they could hide them in a crop of tomatos.

Anyone for a BLTHC?

Last edited:
Okay, it's got to be Coffee for me!

Soybeans...

http://www.ecology.com/dr-jacks-natural-world/most-important-organism/index.html - they produce between 70 and 80% of the oxygen we breath. Definately a keeper..
denverdoc good job mentioning phytoplankton.

Related to What plant is the most useful one?

1. What qualities make a plant useful?

A plant can be considered useful for a variety of reasons, such as its medicinal properties, nutritional value, economic benefits, or ecological importance.

2. Is there a specific plant that is considered the most useful?

It is difficult to determine a single plant as the most useful, as different plants have different uses and benefits. However, some commonly recognized useful plants include aloe vera, garlic, and wheat.

3. How do scientists determine the usefulness of a plant?

Scientists evaluate the usefulness of a plant by studying its chemical composition, conducting experiments to test its medicinal or nutritional properties, and analyzing its economic or environmental impact.

4. Are there any plants that have multiple uses?

Yes, many plants have multiple uses. For example, the neem tree is known for its medicinal properties, but it also has uses in agriculture, cosmetics, and pest control.

5. Can a plant be useful in different ways for different cultures?

Yes, a plant's usefulness can vary depending on the culture and region. For example, a plant may be used as a food source in one culture, but as a medicinal herb in another.