You are not what you eat but what you GROW to eat

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the article discusses the differences between the mindsets of Asian and Western people and how this has influenced the way that they have approached agriculture and warfare.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a recent thread someone posted the old saw "you are what you eat" and it reminded me of a wonderful article that I read a couple of years ago in, I think it was, The Economist. I have long been interested in the differences between the mindsets of Asian peoples and Western peoples and this article gave a marvelous insight.

The title of the article was "You are what you eat. Well, not really what you eat but what you grow to eat".

It's thesis was this: In early days of agriculture there was a great difference. In Asia, the staple was rice, in the West, wheat. Now rice can be planted / harvested more than once a year and has no hard and fast sowing/reaping timing requirements whereas wheat has to be planted once a year and harvested similarly.

SO ... in Asian cultures, there evolved a communal mentality base on everyone going to one person's rice field and planting and then moving on to the next and by the time they got to the last one it was time to go back to the first one for the harvest. So all the planting and harvesting was done by all together and thus the evolution of the communal mentality.

In the West, it was not that people were less community minded but everyone had to plant at the same time and harvest at the same time, so it was every man for himself, thus the evolution of the individual mentality.

Very interesting, I thought (and still think)

Likes Borek, BillTre and jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
I’ve not heard of it before but while it sounds plausible I’m sure there’s some hidden gotchas in th theory. As an example, the mongols were more into herding as were the Tibetans. Other asian groups were into fishing... and yet they appear more communal than western folks.

I would suspect that warfare was substantially different leaving people in Asia to stay with their agricultural roots no matter who won whereas in Europe the battles were against migrating tribal groups and the Roman Empire and others encroaching on European land.

Also in Chinese history it seemed that while some group would conquer, the Han people would win the peace with the conquerors becoming more Chinese.

jedishrfu said:
I’ve not heard of it before but while it sounds plausible I’m sure there’s some hidden gotchas in th theory. As an example, the mongols were more into herding as were the Tibetans. Other asian groups were into fishing... and yet they appear more communal than western folks.

I would suspect that warfare was substantially different leaving people in Asia to stay with their agricultural roots no matter who won whereas in Europe the battles were against migrating tribal groups and the Roman Empire and others encroaching on European land.

Also in Chinese history it seemed that while some group would conquer, the Han people would win the peace with the conquerors becoming more Chinese.
Yes, I agree that it seems to be a very simplistic model, lacking nuance. But I think fundamentally it's sound, it just omits discussion of outlying situations.

Likes jedishrfu

What does the phrase "You are not what you eat but what you GROW to eat" mean?

The phrase means that our diet and health are not solely determined by what we eat, but also by how the food we consume is grown and produced. It emphasizes the importance of sustainable and healthy agricultural practices for our well-being.

Why is it important to consider how our food is grown?

The way our food is grown can have a significant impact on its nutritional value and potential health benefits. For example, fruits and vegetables grown in nutrient-rich soil without the use of pesticides and chemicals are likely to be more nutritious and healthier for us to consume.

How does sustainable farming practices affect our health?

Sustainable farming practices, such as crop rotation, use of natural fertilizers, and minimal use of pesticides, can help maintain the soil's fertility and promote the growth of nutrient-dense crops. This can result in healthier and more nourishing food options for us.

What are the potential benefits of consuming food grown through sustainable practices?

Eating food grown through sustainable practices can have numerous benefits for both our health and the environment. These include reduced exposure to harmful chemicals, increased intake of essential nutrients, and a more sustainable and resilient food system for future generations.

What can individuals do to support sustainable farming and promote healthier food options?

As consumers, we can support sustainable farming by choosing locally-grown and organic produce, reducing food waste, and advocating for policies that promote sustainable agriculture. We can also grow our own fruits and vegetables using sustainable methods, such as composting and natural pest control.