What Potential Difference Is Needed to Stop an Electron?

In summary, to stop an electron with an initial speed of 4.2*10^5 m/s, a negative potential difference is needed. This can be calculated using the equation W = q*delta V, with q = -1.60*10^-19 C. The discrepancy in the sign of the answer may be due to the incorrect use of the equation and the incorrect sign of the charge.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

What potential difference is needed to stop an electron having an initial speed of 4.2*10^5 m/s?

Homework Equations

W = delta K
W = q*delta V

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure that the potential difference should be negative in order to stop the electron, but I keep getting a positive answer (the correct magnitude, but incorrect sign).

I set delta K = q*delta V.

I know delta K will be less than zero since K(final) < K(initial) and q should also be negative since we're dealing with an electron. But this gives me a positive delta V.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have 1/2 mv2=VQ

for an electron Q=-1.60*10-19C

I would first confirm that my assumption about the potential difference being negative to stop an electron is correct. To do this, I would refer to the fundamental equation for potential difference: delta V = W/q, where W is the work done on the electron and q is its charge. Since the question does not provide any information about the work done on the electron, I would assume it to be zero. In that case, the potential difference would also be zero, meaning that no potential difference is needed to stop the electron. This makes sense intuitively as well, since the electron has an initial speed and no external force is acting on it, it would eventually come to a stop on its own without any potential difference.

If the question is indeed asking for the minimum potential difference required to stop the electron, then we need to consider the work done on the electron. In this case, we can use the equation W = delta K to calculate the work done, where delta K is the change in kinetic energy of the electron. Since the electron is being brought to a stop, its final kinetic energy would be zero. Therefore, the work done on the electron would be equal to its initial kinetic energy. Plugging this into the equation for potential difference, we get delta V = K(initial)/q. Since the electron has a negative charge, q will also be negative, resulting in a negative potential difference. This confirms our initial assumption that the potential difference needed to stop the electron should be negative.

The issue with getting a positive answer could be due to a calculation error. I would recommend double-checking the units and making sure that all the values are correctly plugged into the equations. It could also be helpful to draw a diagram or use a graph to visualize the problem and understand the direction of the potential difference. Finally, I would suggest practicing more problems to strengthen the understanding of the concept.

Related to What Potential Difference Is Needed to Stop an Electron?

What is a basic potential difference problem?

A basic potential difference problem involves calculating the potential difference (or voltage) between two points in an electrical circuit. This is often represented by the symbol ΔV or V.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the two points in the circuit. The voltmeter measures the difference in electrical potential between the two points.

What is the unit of measurement for potential difference?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V). One volt is equal to one joule per coulomb.

What is the difference between potential difference and electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit of charge at a given point in an electric field. Potential difference, on the other hand, is the difference in electric potential between two points. Essentially, electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while potential difference is a comparison between two points.

How can potential difference be calculated in a circuit with multiple components?

In a circuit with multiple components, potential difference can be calculated using Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL). This law states that the sum of the potential differences around a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to zero. By applying this law and using the values of the components in the circuit, the potential difference between any two points can be calculated.