What probability density is used in Brownian motion?

In summary, the first moment or mean of a free Brownian particle's coordinate, given as a function of time, can be calculated using the probability density <x> = ∫x*W(x)dx from -infinity to +infinity. The probability density used in this calculation depends on the random variable, the driving force ##\zeta(t')##. There is some confusion about whether to integrate over x or t.
Earthland

Homework Statement

I have a free Brownian particle and its coordinate is given as a function of time:

upload_2015-12-4_13-58-5.png

And its first moment, or mean, is given as

upload_2015-12-4_13-58-40.png

But what kind of probability density was used to calculate this first moment?

Homework Equations

I know that the first moment is calculated by using probability density

<x> = ∫x*W(x)dx from -infinity to +infinity.

X itself is dependent on t, so is it W(x) or W(x,t) or W(t)? I'm little lost on this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I did find some kind of density function in regards to Brownian motion

upload_2015-12-4_14-6-0.png

But I can't see how this would yield the correct result. And still, must I integrate over x or t?

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-4_13-57-39.png
    upload_2015-12-4_13-57-39.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
Just take the expectation value of your first expression (expectation values are linear) keeping in mind that the only actually random variable in it is the driving force ##\zeta(t')##.

1. What is a probability density function?

A probability density function (PDF) is a mathematical function that describes the relative likelihood of a random variable taking on a given value. It is used to model the distribution of a continuous random variable.

2. How is probability density related to Brownian motion?

In Brownian motion, the probability density function is used to describe the distribution of a particle's position over time as it moves randomly in a fluid. The shape of the probability density function for Brownian motion is a bell-shaped curve, known as a normal distribution.

3. What does the probability density function tell us about Brownian motion?

The probability density function for Brownian motion helps us understand the likelihood of a particle being in a particular position at a given time. It also allows us to calculate the expected value and variance of the particle's position, which are important parameters in understanding Brownian motion.

4. How is the probability density function for Brownian motion calculated?

The probability density function for Brownian motion can be calculated using the diffusion equation, which relates the change in the probability density over time to the diffusion coefficient and the second derivative of the probability density function.

5. Why is the normal distribution used as the probability density function for Brownian motion?

The normal distribution is used because it is a good approximation for the random motion of particles in a fluid. It also has many convenient mathematical properties, making it easier to analyze and model Brownian motion.