What properties can metamaterials have?

• Thread starter LightningInAJar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, meta materials can mimic the properties of expensive and rare earth metals, which would make them an interesting option for materials crafting. However, due to the mining advantage that China has, meta materials may not be feasible for widespread use.
LightningInAJar
I was curious what meta materials can do or be used for? Particularly I was curious if they can mimic the properties of expensive and rare materials like rare earth metals which China has an advantage with.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you read up on what meta materials are? What similarities are you thinking they might share with rare and expensive earth metals?

DaveC426913 said:
Have you read up on what meta materials are?
Given the OP's posting history, one can make a pretty good guess to this. Further, since it assumes facts contrary to reality, that guess can be supported.

Gadolimium costs as much per pound as a decent steak.

Likes DaveC426913
Vanadium 50 said:
Gadolimium costs as much per pound as a decent steak.
That's because it's a medium-rare earth element.

• Haha
Likes hmmm27, russ_watters, Astronuc and 3 others
DaveC426913 said:
Have you read up on what meta materials are? What similarities are you thinking they might share with rare and expensive earth metals?
Well I'm pretty sure they are common materials that have been "textured" at the moleculer level in the range of smaller than wavelengths as that their properties are different? I just don't know in what ways other than in what ways besides maybe more reflective.

Wikipedia says, "any material engineered to have a property that is not found in naturally occurring materials."

I don't know how extreme they can be manipulated

LightningInAJar said:
"any material engineered to have a property that is not found in naturally occurring materials."
And are rare-earth elements naturally occurring?

Being a rare-earth element, and being a metamaterial, are independent and orthogonal concepts. Obviously, metamaterials can be made that contain rare-earth elements.

Rare-earth elements are not in short supply. They are simply more expensive to locate, mine and refine than is silicon, aluminium, iron or carbon.

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
And are rare-earth elements naturally occurring?
Well they aren't man made. China has a mining advantage over the US in extracting it, and I heard (likely on 60 minutes) that the process of getting them is toxic and expensive but we need them for many devices. In any event if metamaterials can't be used as a stand in I guess that settles that.

1. What are metamaterials?

Metamaterials are artificially engineered materials that have properties not found in nature. They are created by arranging multiple elements in a specific pattern to achieve unique properties.

2. What properties can metamaterials have?

Metamaterials can have a wide range of properties, including negative refractive index, invisibility to certain wavelengths of light, and extreme thermal insulation. They can also exhibit properties such as superconductivity, magnetism, and acoustic cloaking.

3. How are metamaterials made?

Metamaterials are typically made using advanced manufacturing techniques such as 3D printing, lithography, or chemical vapor deposition. These methods allow for precise control over the arrangement and composition of the materials, resulting in the desired properties.

4. What are the potential applications of metamaterials?

Metamaterials have a wide range of potential applications in various fields, including telecommunications, military and defense, healthcare, and energy. They can be used to create advanced sensors, improve wireless communication, and enhance medical imaging, among other things.

5. Are there any limitations to metamaterials?

While metamaterials have many exciting properties and potential applications, they also have some limitations. One of the main challenges is creating metamaterials that are stable and can withstand real-world conditions. Additionally, the high cost and complexity of manufacturing metamaterials can be a limiting factor in their widespread use.