What should I do with a new discovery?

• Thread starter Daniel alfassi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discovery
In summary: Alternatively, if your idea involves a novel technology then you should patent it. If it is more like a new law of physics or formula then it is not patentable, and the peer review route is really the only one.
Daniel alfassi
Summary:: I need help from a experienced physicist on the topic of how could one make his discovery public

I think that I may of have discovered a new discovery in the highpethetical topic of objects with zero/negative mass and I don't know what I should do with such a discovery or how to make it public. I'd appreciate it if someone here could tell me or give me directions for how could one make his discoveries known to the public

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
By far the best approach is to publish it in the peer reviewed scientific literature. It is not nearly as important to get your discovery known to the public as it is to get it known to other scientists.

Alternatively, if your idea involves a novel technology then you should patent it. If it is more like a new law of physics or formula then it is not patentable, and the peer review route is really the only one.

Please note that we won’t discuss it here until it is published in the professional scientific literature

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
I think you first step should be to search published papers and patents to see if it has already been discovered by someone else.

As we get more and more people in this planet, it becomes increasingly difficult to have a thought that someone else did not have.

Likes russ_watters, Vanadium 50, hutchphd and 2 others
There is also viXra.org
The purpose of viXra is to ensure that all researchers and scholars, both formally trained and self-taught, have the opportunity to place their work in a repository without much delay so that they are independently time-stamped and kept available at a fixed URL. There is no charge for this service.

Keith_McClary said:
There is also viXra.org
Do note, however, that papers published only on viXra are categorically banned from discussion at PhysicsForums.

Likes russ_watters, Keith_McClary and Dale
Daniel alfassi said:
Summary:: I need help from a experienced physicist on the topic of how could one make his discovery public

I think that I may of have discovered a new discovery in the highpethetical topic of objects with zero/negative mass and I don't know what I should do with such a discovery or how to make it public. I'd appreciate it if someone here could tell me or give me directions for how could one make his discoveries known to the public
There's Speakers' Corner in Hyde Park:

1624946571491.png

Likes russ_watters, CalcNerd and symbolipoint

Related to What should I do with a new discovery?

1. What is the first step I should take after making a new discovery?

The first step you should take after making a new discovery is to document your findings. This includes writing down all the details of your discovery, including any observations, data, and experiments you conducted.

2. How do I determine the significance of my new discovery?

To determine the significance of your new discovery, you should conduct further research and gather more evidence to support your findings. You can also consult with other experts in your field to get their opinions and feedback.

3. What are the ethical considerations when deciding what to do with a new discovery?

When deciding what to do with a new discovery, it is important to consider the potential impact on society and the environment. You should also consider any potential risks and benefits and consult with ethical guidelines and regulations in your field.

4. How do I decide whether to publish my new discovery or keep it confidential?

The decision to publish or keep your new discovery confidential depends on various factors, such as the significance of your discovery, potential commercial value, and any ethical considerations. It is important to weigh the pros and cons and consult with colleagues and mentors before making a decision.

5. What are the next steps after publishing my new discovery?

After publishing your new discovery, you can continue to conduct further research and experiments to build upon your findings. You can also collaborate with other researchers and experts in your field to expand the impact of your discovery and potentially apply it to real-world problems.