What Should I Learn? Programming Advice for 18-Year-Old

• Thread starter Exangelus
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is seeking to learn a general purpose programming language that can create GUIs and perform various practical tasks. They have experience with HTML, PHP, JavaScript, and VisualBasic, but are considering learning C++. The individual is advised that C++ may not be suitable for beginners and may be challenging to learn, but is a powerful and widely used language. It is recommended to start with the basics of C and add object-oriented programming later. It is also suggested to use a book, such as "C++: The Complete Reference" by Herbert Shildt, and a compiler such as Borland's "free command line tools." It is noted that learning to write GUI apps may require also learning the Win32 API.
Exangelus
Hi,
I want to start learning a general purpose programming language with which you can make gui's and be able to do all sorts of things practically.
I'm 18 now and started programming on my 14th with simple html. Now I work as a php programmer in a company in the Netherlands and I somewhat mastered php. For the rest I can program js, html and visualbasic. VB is a good basic language but very limited.

I consider learning C++ but is this a wise choise(keeping in mind I know php/js/vb)?

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
Sorry no one ha answered yet.

C++ is a great language if you are not a total beginner. I moved from Basic to C a year or two ago for my general amateur programming and have never gone back. C is the industry standard for applications of all sorts because it is powerful and portable.

However, don't expect it to be easy to learn. You have probably read that C is a "programmers' language." That is absolutely true, it was designed by programmers for programmers. Its use of symbols rather that English-like words and complex grammar may be frustrating at first.

I recommend that you find a good book like Herbert Shildt's "C++: The Complete Reference" and try it. Do not focus on the ++ in C++ at first. Learn how the straight C stuff works and add OOP later.

I use Borland's "free command line tools" compiler and it works fine.

Do not expect to be writing GUI apps right away. If you do it the usual way and don't cheat by using simple libraries for beginners you will need to also learn the Win32 API.

Related to What Should I Learn? Programming Advice for 18-Year-Old

1. What is the importance of learning programming at 18 years old?

Learning programming at a young age can open up a world of opportunities for you. It can help you develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries. It can also prepare you for a rapidly growing job market in the tech industry.

2. What programming languages should I focus on learning?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Some popular and versatile languages to consider are Python, Java, and C++. It's also a good idea to research the job market and see which languages are in demand in your desired field.

3. How should I go about learning programming at 18?

There are many ways to learn programming, such as taking online courses, attending coding bootcamps, or self-teaching through books and online resources. It's important to find a method that works best for you and to consistently practice and apply your knowledge.

4. Is it necessary to have a degree in computer science to become a programmer?

No, a degree in computer science is not necessary to become a programmer. Many successful programmers are self-taught or have learned through alternative education programs. However, having a degree can provide a strong foundation and may be required for certain job positions.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated while learning programming at 18?

Learning programming can be challenging, but it's important to stay motivated and dedicated. Some tips include setting achievable goals, finding a study buddy or mentor, and working on personal projects to keep your interest and skills sharp. Remember to also take breaks and celebrate your progress along the way!