What should I volunteer in to gain Astro experience for PhD?

In summary: Agreed - the other thing I would suggest is that even if you don't get a publication out of the project you should certainly try to present the results at say an IAU conference or a smaller topical conference. Most of these conferences have grants for students that help defray some of the conference/travel costs. Networking in that manner is more likely to be important for a PhD application than an industry internship.
Alex Howard
So here is the gist. I just completed my 3rd year of a 4 year Phys and Astro Masters at the University of Exeter, and for the second year in a row, me and all my course mates were passed over for internships because we lack experience (which we can't get because no one will pick us for internships). I perform very well academically and several of the companies said I was one of the highest academic candidates, but I am out of luck job wise. I now have other plans to fill some other holes in my CV (I will be volunteering for the National Trust this summer).

The question is, how do I inflate my CV with experience, considering I am hoping to do an Astro PhD in the UK or in the States when I finish next year? Many internships won't allow me to apply next year as I won't be a student, and with plans to start a new section of my education in September 2016, I can't apply for a job that summer either.

There isn't a whole lot in my home area (Wiltshire) but I am willing to relocate. Last year I was able to get a job for an oil well sensor company but TBH I am not an engineer and I didnt enjoy it very much. There doesn't seem to be a lot of astro based jobs around.

Is there anything you would recommend volunteering for next academic year that could run concurrent with my studies and would fill out some holes? Anything that is a MUST DO for Astro students looking for a PhD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For an astro PhD, industry experience isn't going to help much. What you need is research experience. At my university, the undergraduates can replace a course with a research unit for a semester (and students often do several), can do a research project over the summer, or can do an internship at a telescope run by the university. Is there anything like that at the University of Exeter? That's the kind of thing you need to do.

e.bar.goum said:
For an astro PhD, industry experience isn't going to help much. What you need is research experience. At my university, the undergraduates can replace a course with a research unit for a semester (and students often do several), can do a research project over the summer, or can do an internship at a telescope run by the university. Is there anything like that at the University of Exeter? That's the kind of thing you need to do.

Exeter Master's students automatically do a 2 year research project. Mine is into HCO+ as a star formation tracer in Serpens. So I think I have that covered. Ill try to do more if I can but I don't think that option is available. Its the equivalent of 3 full time modules and the final report forms my masters thesis. There is also the chance to get published at the same time.

On another forum, someone suggested getting heavily involved in the astro soc and maybe doing tutoring for undergrads. Does that sound about right?

Alex Howard said:
Exeter Master's students automatically do a 2 year research project. Mine is into HCO+ as a star formation tracer in Serpens. So I think I have that covered. Ill try to do more if I can but I don't think that option is available. Its the equivalent of 3 full time modules and the final report forms my masters thesis. There is also the chance to get published at the same time.

On another forum, someone suggested getting heavily involved in the astro soc and maybe doing tutoring for undergrads. Does that sound about right?

The thesis sounds like just what you need. Having a good relationship with your supervisor is important - I've yet to see and phd program that doesn't ask for references. Getting involved with the asto soc and tutoring can't hurt either, but I don't think it's the most important thing.

e.bar.goum said:
The thesis sounds like just what you need. Having a good relationship with your supervisor is important - I've yet to see and phd program that doesn't ask for references. Getting involved with the asto soc and tutoring can't hurt either, but I don't think it's the most important thing.

Agreed - the other thing I would suggest is that even if you don't get a publication out of the project you should certainly try to present the results at say an IAU conference or a smaller topical conference. Most of these conferences have grants for students that help defray some of the conference/travel costs. Networking in that manner is more likely to be important for a PhD application than an industry internship. Otherwise, make sure your physics and programming skills are advancing and push as hard as you can for a paper that does good science (optimally you'd submit to a journal, but even a preprint of your work on arXiv might be worth it) - that's eventually what your future will be like during your PhD and it doesn't hurt to start now!

1. What types of volunteer opportunities are available for gaining astro experience for a PhD?

There are a variety of volunteer opportunities available for gaining astro experience for a PhD. Some examples include assisting with research projects at universities or observatories, volunteering at science museums or planetariums, participating in citizen science projects, and joining amateur astronomy clubs.

2. How do I find volunteer opportunities in the field of astrophysics?

You can start by reaching out to your local university or observatory to inquire about volunteer opportunities. You can also search online for organizations or projects that align with your interests in astrophysics. Additionally, attending conferences or networking events in the field can help you connect with potential volunteer opportunities.

3. What skills or qualifications do I need to volunteer for astro research projects?

The specific skills and qualifications required may vary depending on the project or organization. However, most research projects will require volunteers to have a strong understanding of astrophysics principles and techniques, as well as a passion for the field. Some projects may also require specific technical skills, such as programming or data analysis.

4. Can volunteering in astrophysics help me get into a PhD program?

Volunteering in astrophysics can definitely enhance your application for a PhD program. It shows your dedication and passion for the field, as well as your willingness to gain hands-on experience and contribute to research projects. Additionally, volunteering can help you build connections and receive strong letters of recommendation from professionals in the field.

5. How much time should I commit to volunteering for astrophysics experience?

The amount of time you should commit to volunteering for astrophysics experience will depend on your own schedule and availability. Some projects may require a few hours a week, while others may require more time. It's important to find a balance that works for you, as you will also need time to focus on your studies and other commitments.