What should i write in this essay prompt ?

In summary, the conversation discusses a prompt in the University of Michigan application that asks the applicant to choose a community they belong to and describe their place within it. The applicant suggests writing about their experience in an NGO and asks for suggestions on how to improve their essay. They also mention a word limit and ask if they can privately share their essay for feedback.
ujjwal3097
Hi everyone
I am applying to University of Michigan. There is prompt in the application that is giving me some hard time so I need some suggestion from anyone who is willing to help me.
Essay prompt :

Everyone belongs to many different communities and/or groups defined by (among other things) shared geography, religion, ethnicity, income, cuisine, interest, race, ideology, or intellectual heritage. Choose one of the communities to which you belong, and describe that community and your place within it.

I was thinking I can write about my experience in a NGO for example i can tell about how I help to change the lives of the underprivileged children and how they helped me to overcome my social anxiety disorder.You can provide me your suggestions.
Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by using the "Everyone belongs to... " sentence and then list the communities that you belong to and then go into describing the NGO community in particular, describing your role in it, how it helps others and the benefits you receive in return.

Likes Silicon Waffle and ujjwal3097
jedishrfu said:
You could start by using the "Everyone belongs to... " sentence and then list the communities that you belong to and then go into describing the NGO community in particular, describing your role in it, how it helps others and the benefits you receive in return.
Thanks for helping me.

It sounds like you have a very valid experience and something interesting to write about. Just write down fast without thinking too much, about these experiences. Then afterwards you can think about introducing, some final conclusions drawn, improving the style and leaving out stuff that when you look at it you might think wouldn't matter too to much to anybody else. In other words polishing. You haven't mentioned a word limit but chances are that you have to think more about what to leave out than put in. I hope you have time to get somebody else perhaps us to read it, and to be able to put it aside and come back yourself to read it 'cold'.

Likes Silicon Waffle
epenguin said:
It sounds like you have a very valid experience and something interesting to write about. Just write down fast without thinking too much, about these experiences. Then afterwards you can think about introducing, some final conclusions drawn, improving the style and leaving out stuff that when you look at it you might think wouldn't matter too to much to anybody else. In other words polishing. You haven't mentioned a word limit but chances are that you have to think more about what to leave out than put in. I hope you have time to get somebody else perhaps us to read it, and to be able to put it aside and come back yourself to read it 'cold'.
250 words limit .

epenguin said:
Can i post my to you application essay privately. (I don't want to post it online before application submission.)

OK, there is a facility for that.

1. What is the purpose of this essay prompt?

The purpose of this essay prompt is to guide you in writing an essay on a specific topic or subject. It serves as a framework for your ideas and arguments, and helps you stay on track while writing.

2. How do I approach this essay prompt?

The best way to approach this essay prompt is to carefully read and understand the instructions or guidelines provided. Make sure to brainstorm and organize your ideas before starting to write. Also, do thorough research on the topic to support your arguments.

3. Are there any specific requirements for this essay prompt?

Yes, there might be specific requirements mentioned in the essay prompt, such as the length of the essay, formatting style, or sources to be used. Make sure to follow these requirements to ensure that your essay meets the expectations of the prompt.

4. Can I use personal experiences or opinions in this essay prompt?

It depends on the essay prompt. Some prompts may require you to write from a personal point of view, while others may require you to present a more objective argument. Make sure to carefully read and understand the prompt to determine if personal experiences and opinions are appropriate to include.

5. How can I make my essay stand out in response to this prompt?

To make your essay stand out, make sure to use clear and concise language, provide evidence to support your arguments, and use examples or anecdotes to illustrate your points. Also, proofread your essay carefully to ensure it is well-written and error-free.