How can I find topics to write college essays?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of writing college essays and how to research and collect material for them. The speaker expresses their excitement about applying these ideas and writing essays independently. They also mention their interest in writing books on popular maths or problem solving and how this exercise would improve their writing and mathematical knowledge. They ask for advice on writing good college level essays and receive recommendations for sources such as math topics on Wikipedia and the book "Math 1001" by Prof Elwes.
Maths Absorber
Hi,

I was reading a book by Cal Newport which advises students on how to study in college. There's a whole section devoted to writing college essays, and how to research and collect material for it. The prospect of applying those ideas and writing essays excited me.

In the college system I'm in, we aren't assigned essays. So, I'd like to undertake this assignment independently. I need a source of good topics to write about. When I was reading Kenneth Rosen's Discrete Mathematics, there were suggestions for essays at the end of every chapter. I'm looking for similar kind of questions.

The reason I'm undertaking this is to improve my writing and my knowledge of mathematics. I like writing a lot but haven't written much after I choose Science after tenth grade. I want to write some books someday (Preferably on popular Maths or problem solving). This exercise would give me an opportunity to improve both my writing and my mathematical knowledge.

Also, give me some advice on how I can write good college level essays since I have no standard to compare myself with. It would also be a totally new thing for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the book recommendation.

1. What are some strategies for brainstorming essay topics?

One strategy is to think about personal experiences or interests that you are passionate about and could write about. Another strategy is to read and research current events or topics that are relevant to your field of study. Additionally, talking to friends, family, or professors for their perspectives and ideas can also be helpful.

2. How can I make sure my essay topic stands out?

To make your essay topic stand out, try to choose a unique angle or perspective on a common topic. Use personal experiences or anecdotes to make your essay more relatable and engaging. You can also consider incorporating current events or incorporating a creative format, such as a personal narrative or dialogue.

3. Are there any topics I should avoid writing about in a college essay?

It is generally recommended to avoid controversial or sensitive topics in a college essay, such as religion, politics, or personal beliefs. These topics can be polarizing and may not be well-received by all readers. It is also important to avoid writing about topics that are overly personal or could be uncomfortable for the reader.

4. Can I write about a topic I am not familiar with?

It is possible to write about a topic you are not familiar with, but it may require more research and effort to develop a strong and well-informed essay. If you are interested in writing about a new topic, make sure to thoroughly research and understand it before beginning your essay. It may also be helpful to consult with a professor or expert in the field for guidance.

5. How can I ensure my essay topic is appropriate for the college application?

To ensure your essay topic is appropriate for the college application, make sure it aligns with the essay prompt provided by the college. It should also showcase your strengths, passions, and unique qualities. Avoid topics that may be too controversial or could potentially reflect negatively on your character. It can also be helpful to have someone else, such as a teacher or counselor, review your topic to ensure it is appropriate and effective.