What side does the bread land?

• Thread starter Vitani11
  • Start date
In summary, the bread falls off the table and has an initial angular velocity. I need to find the change in rotation from the moment it falls off the table until it hits the floor in order to verify that it lands butter side down.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

Problem is to verify that bread lands peanut butter side down.The bread makes an angle of 30 deg below the horizontal before if falls off table. At that instant it has angular velocity of 0.956*the square root of g/l where g is gravity and l is the length of the toast at 0.10m. We assume the toast is square and so it's moment of inertia is (ML^2)/3. The height of the table is 0.500m. Assuming the bread is peanut butter side up initially I basically just need to find the change in rotation from the moment it falls off the table until it hits the floor so I can verify that it lands butter side down.

Homework Equations

Theta final = theta initial + omega(t) +(0.5)alpha(t^2)
Torque = (ML^2)/3 *alpha
Y=y initial + vt + 0.5at^2
Omega = initial omega + alpha(t)
A number of other possible kinematic/CoE/force rotational motion equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten loads of different answers. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about approaching the angular acceleration due to gravity, the time (I've got like 4 times all differently) etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
You are overthinking the problem. You are given the point where it leaves the table. Where do you see torque if the bread is not connected to the table any more?
How long does it take in free fall to hit the ground?

Likes Vitani11
mfb said:
You are overthinking the problem. You are given the point where it leaves the table. Where do you see torque if the bread is not connected to the table any more?
How long does it take in free fall to hit the ground?
You are saying that there is no torque due to gravity after it falls off the table, but it still rotates?

Gravity never leads to torque around the center of gravity - by definition.
It still rotates, sure.

Likes Vitani11
mfb said:
Gravity never leads to torque around the center of gravity - by definition.
It still rotates, sure.
Would it have an initial linear velocity if it has an initial rotational velocity? I know the equations and physics say so but I am having a hard time with this because I don't understand how a piece of bread could have an initial velocity if it falls after tilting, where it is stationary but rotates before the fall. At the initial time of free fall linear velocity must be zero...?I understand that it has initial angular velocity.

Sorry for all of the questions - this is the last one.

There is no linear velocity given, I guess you can neglect it. Alternatively, assume that the edge of the bread is leaving the table at this point, which gives a condition relating angular and linear velocity.

Vitani11 said:
the toast is square and so it's moment of inertia is (ML^2)/3.
As mfb has explained, there is no torque, so no angular acceleration, after the initial conditions given. Thus, the moment of inertia is irrelevant. But I will point out that the formula you quote is for a square rotating about a central axis normal to its plane, not an axis in its plane.

Likes Vitani11
I solved this problem earlier today. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the significance of the bread landing on a specific side?

The side that bread lands on can tell us about the force and direction of the drop, as well as the shape and texture of the bread itself.

2. Is there a preferred side for bread to land on?

No, there is no preferred side for bread to land on. It is purely based on the force and angle of the drop.

3. Can the side that bread lands on be influenced by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces can affect the trajectory of the bread and cause it to land on a specific side.

4. Does the type of bread affect the side it lands on?

Yes, the shape and density of the bread can affect the way it falls and ultimately the side it lands on.

5. How does gravity play a role in the side that bread lands on?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. The direction and strength of this force can determine the side that bread lands on when dropped.