What stress tensor components mean?

In summary: Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology" discusses shear forces and explains that the force F across any surface can be broken down into nine components of stress, with the first subscript indicating the direction of the force and the second indicating the normal to the surface. The diagonal components represent normal stresses, while the off-diagonal components represent shear stresses. The second subscript, for example in Sxx, refers to a plane perpendicular to the x axis. This can be visualized using a Cartesian coordinate system.
eprparadox
Hey! I'm reading a book Intermediate Physics for Medicine and Biology

In it, there is a section that is describing shear forces and it says this as a side note:
In general, the force F across any surface is a vector. It can be resolved into a component perpendicular to the sur- face and two components parallel to the surface. One can speak of nine components of stress: Sxx,Sxy,Sxz,Syx,Syy,Syz,Szx,Szy,Szz. The first subscript denotes the direction of the force and the second denotes the normal to the surface across which the force acts. Components Sxx,Syy and Szz are normal stresses; the others are shear stresses. It can be shown that Sxy = Syx, and so forth.

I'm having a hard time understanding this:
...and the second denotes the normal to the surface across which the force acts.

I'm not understanding this second subscript. If we take Sxx for example, then we're talking about the x-direction of the force and what does that second x mean? I'm confused by this.

Thanks for any insight provided.

Physics news on Phys.org
Awesome, i should have checked wikipedia first. This image makes way more sense than the written description

Thanks a lot @Andy Resnick

eprparadox said:
I'm having a hard time understanding this:
...and the second denotes the normal to the surface across which the force acts.

I'm not understanding this second subscript. If we take Sxx for example, then we're talking about the x-direction of the force and what does that second x mean? I'm confused by this.
The 2nd subscript means "on a plane perpendicular to the x axis." So Sxx is the force per unit area acting in the x direction on a plane perpendicular to the x axis.

Chet

Likes mohamedibr752

Related to What stress tensor components mean?

What is a stress tensor?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the internal forces acting within a material. It describes the magnitude and direction of these forces at each point within the material.

What are the components of a stress tensor?

A stress tensor has six components, which are often represented by a 3x3 matrix. These components are normal stresses, which act perpendicular to a surface, and shear stresses, which act parallel to a surface.

How are the components of a stress tensor related to each other?

The components of a stress tensor are related through the laws of conservation of momentum and angular momentum. This means that the stresses acting on one surface of a material are balanced by the stresses acting on the opposite surface.

What do the stress tensor components represent physically?

The normal stress components represent the amount of force per unit area acting perpendicular to a certain surface. The shear stress components represent the amount of force per unit area acting parallel to a certain surface.

Why is understanding stress tensor components important in science?

Stress tensor components are used in many fields of science, such as engineering, physics, and materials science. They provide a quantitative understanding of the forces acting within a material, which is crucial in predicting the behavior and response of the material under different conditions.