What temperature rise causes the transistor to saturate?tran

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the problem at hand involves determining when a transistor saturates, taking into account the temperature coefficient. Using the given equations and the fact that IC grows 9% per degree Celsius, we can find the necessary values to solve for Vc and determine the temperature at which the transistor will saturate.
Jadejadeface

Homework Statement

1. Additional Exercise 7 in the textbook (H&H, p. 110). Vout is 0.5Vcc at the quiescent point. You may assume beta = 100. The transistor is said to saturate when VC = VB. Use the fact IC grows 9%/ degree C and that VBE is constant to determine when the transistor saturates.

Homework Equations

Vb = Vbe +IeRe

Vcc = IcRc + Vce + IeRe where Ic = (beta x Ie)/(beta +1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so firstly I'm confused about whether we need to answer 7 and this question or just what's written in "1.". Anyway, for Vb = 0.5Vcc the two resistors must be equal ( I don't really understand what that arrow is pointing to the resistor, please explain? Since the problem says he adjusts it until 0.5Vcc is reached I'm assuming both resistors = 1K) Therefore Vout = 10V = Vb.

And this is as far as I get since there is no Re I'm not really sure about how to get Vc. If there was a resistor there I would find Vc using the above equation then figure how much I need to increase the temperature to get Vc = 10v. Please help!

Is the current in the collector the same as that in the emitter? Do I need to take into consideration re (little r e, the intrinsic resistance of the resistor)?

Attachments

• figure.png
    figure.png
    2 KB · Views: 326
  • figureq.png
    figureq.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 392
  • figureq7.png
    figureq7.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion about the problem and I am happy to help you find a solution. To answer your question, yes, you do need to answer both the additional exercise 7 and the question in "1." In order to determine when the transistor saturates, we need to consider the equations you listed and also take into account the temperature coefficient of the transistor.

Firstly, we can use the equation Vb = Vbe +IeRe to find the value of Re. We know that Vb = 0.5Vcc = 10V, and Vbe is constant. Therefore, we can rearrange the equation to solve for Re. Once we have the value of Re, we can use it in the equation Vcc = IcRc + Vce + IeRe to find Vc.

Now, to take into account the temperature coefficient, we can use the fact that IC grows 9% per degree Celsius. This means that for every degree increase in temperature, IC will increase by 9%. We can use this information to find the temperature at which Vc will reach 10V. We can set up an equation where Vc is equal to 10V and solve for the temperature. This will give us the temperature at which the transistor will saturate.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarification on the solution. Good luck with your studies!

What is transistor saturation?

Transistor saturation is a state in which the transistor is fully turned on and the collector current reaches its maximum value.

What is the temperature rise that causes transistor saturation?

The temperature rise that causes transistor saturation depends on the specific transistor and its operating conditions. Generally, a temperature rise of 10-20 degrees Celsius can lead to transistor saturation.

How does temperature affect transistor saturation?

Temperature can affect transistor saturation by increasing the number of charge carriers, which can lead to an increase in the base current. This can cause the transistor to enter saturation at lower input voltages.

What are the consequences of transistor saturation?

Transistor saturation can cause distortion in the output signal, as well as a decrease in gain and an increase in power dissipation. It can also lead to the transistor being unable to properly amplify the input signal.

How can I prevent transistor saturation?

To prevent transistor saturation, it is important to properly design and select transistors for the desired application. Using a heat sink and keeping the operating temperature within the specified range can also help prevent transistor saturation.