What the movie Interstellar got right and wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a planet existing close enough to a black hole for a person to stand on it, and the potential for time dilation and other effects to be detectable. It is suggested that the planet would need to have a low tidal force and that it is possible for a human to walk on it and have an atmosphere to support them. The equations for calculating time dilation near a black hole are mentioned, but the specific equation for a rotating black hole is not readily available. The idea of frozen clouds on another planet is also brought up and deemed implausible.
RandyD123
We all know that getting too close to the gravity well of a massive object like a black hole causes time to move more slowly for you than it would for people on Earth. But is it possible for a planet to exist close enough to a black hole and have a person actually stand on that planet? And if possible is there math that could be use to figure out how much time has passed on Earth vs. your time?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you get close enough for these effects to be relevant, I would expect the gradient of the fields to be great enough that one end of the ship would be getting older at a detectably different rate from the other end. Anyone could get into an orbit around a black hole and it would feel the same as the orbit around a star. . . . only you wouldn't see the central attractor.
Time dilation and other effects are detectable under pretty mild conditions, of course.

The idea is that the black hole is big, keeping tidal forces down, while providing significant time dilation. It's certainly possible to have hours on such a planet be years on Earth.

Hyperphysics has that equation:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Relativ/gratim.html

You wou'd want to select a maximum comfortable tidal acceleration and set the mass and distance parameters equal. I'd probably plug them into a spreadsheet and play with the parameters until I liked the result

Likes Sorcerer
But can a human walk on that planet? And can that planet have atmosphere to support a human?

RandyD123 said:
But can a human walk on that planet? And can that planet have atmosphere to support a human?
There's no reason why it couldn't and it isn't clear to me what you think would happen. Remember, when you are in orbit, everything is in orbit together So orbiting the black hole while on a planet orbiting the black hole doesn't have a noticeable effect on you if the tidal force is low.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
If you get close enough for these effects to be relevant, I would expect the gradient of the fields to be great enough that one end of the ship would be getting older at a detectably different rate from the other end.

Not if the hole is large enough. The hole in Interstellar is supermassive (I believe a billion or so solar masses), so tidal gravity even very close to its horizon will be small.

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
Hyperphysics has that equation

The equations on that page only apply to an observer hovering at rest above a non-rotating black hole's horizon. The situation in Interstellar is more complicated, because the hole is rotating and the planet is in a circular orbit. I can't find any online reference that gives the exact equation in question, but it should be fairly straightforward to derive it from the Kerr metric; if I have time later I'll try to do that.

Kip Thorne has published a book giving the detailed math that he worked out for the movie:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393351378/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Likes russ_watters
Slightly off topic, but what about the frozen “clouds” on the other planet. Seems implausible. I mean, unless they weren’t really clouds but were large ice mountains or something.

1. What scientific concepts did Interstellar accurately portray?

Interstellar accurately portrayed the concept of time dilation, where time moves slower in the presence of a strong gravitational field. It also accurately depicted the effect of relativity on time, as time moves slower for an observer in motion compared to one at rest.

2. Did the movie correctly show the physics of space travel?

The movie did a good job of showing the basic principles of space travel, such as the use of rockets and the need for fuel. However, it did take some artistic liberties with the depiction of the wormhole and the black hole, which were exaggerated for dramatic effect.

3. Was the concept of a "fifth dimension" accurately portrayed?

The idea of a "fifth dimension" in the movie was based on the scientific concept of a tesseract, which is a four-dimensional cube. While the portrayal of the tesseract in the movie was visually stunning, it is not a scientifically accurate representation of a tesseract.

4. Did the movie accurately depict the effects of gravity on time?

Yes, the movie accurately showed the effects of gravity on time, specifically how time moves slower in a strong gravitational field. This was demonstrated through the character of Dr. Mann, who experienced time at a different rate due to his proximity to the black hole.

5. Were the scientific themes in the movie realistic?

The movie explored many scientific themes, such as the search for habitable planets and the concept of a dying Earth. While these themes are based on real scientific theories, the movie took some creative liberties with them. Overall, the movie did a good job of incorporating scientific concepts into the plot, but it should not be viewed as a completely accurate depiction of science.