What times is the bird flying horizontally/vertically?

In summary, the flight of a bird can be described by the equations x=t-cos(t) and y=3-2sin(t), where 0<=t<=4pi represents the time in seconds. The bird flies horizontally when dy/dt=0 and dx/dt=/=0, which occurs at t=pi/2 and 3pi/2. The corresponding (x,y) coordinates for these points are (pi/2-1, 3) and (3pi/2-1, 3). Similarly, the bird flies vertically when dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=/=0, happening at t=3pi/2. The corresponding (x,y) coordinate for this point is
dannyxyeah
The flight of a bird follows the curve x=t-cos(t), y=3-2sin(t)... where 0<=t<=4pi is the time in seconds.
a) What times is the bird flying horizontally? find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points.
b) What times is the bird flying vertically? find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points.

my work:
i found dx/dt=1+sin(t)
dy/dt=-2cos(t)
and therefore dy/dx=(-2cos(t))/(1+sin(t))

The bird flies horizontally when dy/dt=0 and dx/dt=/=0, right?
dy/dt=0 at t=pi/2 and 3pi/2. However, dx/dt=0 when 3pi/2, so would it be just pi/2?

Same problem for part b. The bird flies vertically when dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=/=0.
dx/dt=0 at t=3pi/2, but dy/dt equals zero then. What does this mean for the bird's flight?

Physics news on Phys.org
dannyxyeah said:
The flight of a bird follows the curve x=t-cos(t), y=3-2sin(t)... where 0<=t<=4pi is the time in seconds.
a) What times is the bird flying horizontally? find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points.
b) What times is the bird flying vertically? find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points.

my work:
i found dx/dt=1+sin(t)
dy/dt=-2cos(t)
and therefore dy/dx=(-2cos(t))/(1+sin(t))

The bird flies horizontally when dy/dt=0 and dx/dt=/=0, right?
dy/dt=0 at t=pi/2 and 3pi/2. However, dx/dt=0 when 3pi/2, so would it be just pi/2?

Same problem for part b. The bird flies vertically when dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=/=0.
dx/dt=0 at t=3pi/2, but dy/dt equals zero then. What does this mean for the bird's flight?
Indeed, what does it mean if both dx/dt = 0 and dy/dt = 0 simultaneously ?

Also, don't forget, the flight is from t = 0 to t = 4π.

SammyS said:
Indeed, what does it mean if both dx/dt = 0 and dy/dt = 0 simultaneously ?
Would it mean that the bird was either stationary or floating in place?

SammyS said:
Also, don't forget, the flight is from t = 0 to t = 4π.
Ah, that means I need to include every interval of pi/2 up until 8pi/2 correct?

dannyxyeah said:
Would it mean that the bird was either stationary or floating in place?
Stationary --- momentarily, but stationary.
Ah, that means I need to include every interval of pi/2 up until 8pi/2 correct?
Yes.

SammyS said:
Stationary --- momentarily, but stationary.
Great, thank you!

Also, how do you interpret the "find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points"? What do you reckon it's asking for? Just to plug in the different t values into each x and y equation initially given?

Last edited:
dannyxyeah said:
Great, thank you! So I would omit any values of t at which dy and dx=0. Otherwise is my work correct? :D Also, how do you interpret the "find the (x,y) coordinates of the corresponding points"? What do you reckon it's asking for? Just to plug in the different t values into each x and y equation initially given?
Certainly, if dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=0, the bird is stationary, and thus is not flying in any direction.

To find the location at any particular time, yes, just plug the time into the expressions for x & y .

ignore this please. I got it :)

1. What does it mean for a bird to fly horizontally/vertically?

Flying horizontally means that the bird is moving parallel to the ground, while flying vertically means that the bird is moving perpendicular to the ground.

2. How do you determine the time when a bird is flying horizontally/vertically?

The time when a bird is flying horizontally/vertically can be determined by using a stopwatch or timing the flight using a video recording and then analyzing the footage.

3. Is there a specific time of day when birds tend to fly horizontally/vertically?

Birds can fly horizontally and vertically at any time of the day, depending on their species, behavior, and habitat. Some birds might have specific times of day when they are more active and likely to fly, but this can vary greatly.

4. What factors can affect the time when a bird flies horizontally/vertically?

The time when a bird flies horizontally/vertically can be affected by various factors such as weather conditions, availability of food and resources, predator activity, and mating behavior.

5. Can you predict when a bird will fly horizontally/vertically?

It is difficult to predict exactly when a bird will fly horizontally/vertically as it depends on many factors. However, some studies have shown that certain species of birds tend to have specific flight patterns and times of day when they are more likely to fly.