What to fill a glass bottle with (a liquid that hardens) to lower its volume?

In summary, the conversation revolves around creating an oil lamp using an old Vodka bottle. The main concern is the amount of lamp oil (Paraffin) that should be used in the bottle. Suggestions are given to fill the bottle halfway with a substance that would not react with the paraffin, such as water, ball bearings, or glass marbles. The use of a metal fitting or a commercial wick and chimney assembly is also mentioned for proper burn and cooling. Safety precautions and testing outside before use are recommended.
Daniel Lee
Homework Statement:: Oil Lamp ( Paraffin help )
Relevant Equations:: Not sure what to write here

HI folks,

I'm trying to make an oil lamp from an old Vodka bottle.
The bottle is the usual 750ml and is in a skull shape bottle. ( maybe you know it )

Anyhow I have all the materials and almost ready to go but, I don't want
750ml or anything close to that number of lamp oil ( Paraffin of sorts ) in the bottle as
it may have a deadly consequences.
So my question to you all is what kind of liquid or substance can I put in the glass bottle
to fill it up ( that maybe hardens ) that can fill the bottle maybe half way so as not to have to put in so much
Paraffin. Also it would have to not react with the paraffin as I'd hate to have slight amounts of
say...Resin, or glue burning off with the oil.

Anybody know of a good solution?
thanks
Dan in Toronto

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about water? There probably is an issue with the wick. Maybe fill the bottle with glass marbles or beads. Or ball bearings or stones. Make it more stable too.

water. You may have to let the wick dry out between fills.

hutchphd said:
How about water? There probably is an issue with the wick. Maybe fill the bottle with glass marbles or beads. Or ball bearings or stones. Make it more stable too.
OK interesting. I'm trying to imagine if I were to fill it up with ball bearings ( say, half way ) then I'm obviously putting less Paraffin in the bottle. Would there be any issues with the Paraffin that does make it's way through the cracks or channels of ball bearings? Would it rust them?
thanks for the reply by the way

hmmm27 said:
water. You may have to let the wick dry out between fills.
I admit I'm horrible with Chemistry. Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?

Daniel Lee said:
Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?

Like oil and water.

• Haha
Likes phinds
General question: if you put the wick down through the oil into the water will it pull up water or oil predominantly ? I fear it will be water but don't know.

Daniel Lee said:
I admit I'm horrible with Chemistry. Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?
As others said, oil and water.
1610829273626.png

Just make sure that the wick floats on the oil, and does not sink down into the water.

Daniel Lee said:
Would there be any issues with the Paraffin that does make it's way through the cracks or channels of ball bearings?
No.
Daniel Lee said:
Would it rust them?
No.

I'm pretty sure the forum prohibition against advising people on how to build nuclear space ray guns doesn't apply but, if'n it was me, I'd run quite a few tests on top of a large sand or dirt base before putting it within reach of children, cats, idiot friends.

Actually, I'd probably either make an LED lamp or a bong. Frankly, I think the bottle is going to break from the heat.

Last edited:
That's why oil lamps have a metal fitting between the glass and the wick. That metal fitting usually has a short tube with a wick adjusting roller. The flame is separated from the glass. A wick adjustment is needed because too much wick exposure can cause a very smoky flame.

And another vote for testing outside first.

• Informative
Likes phinds
I assumed the OP was using a commercial wick and chimney assembly (you used to be able to get replacement parts at the hardware store). If not that then by all means do not proceed. You need the well designed chimney for proper burn and cooling. Not a good place to experiment.

Funny, I assumed he had a floating wick assembly. If the flame is external to the skull, there's much less worrying about the glass breaking... and the normal amount of worry about open flames.

Likes hmmm27
Daniel Lee said:
Homework Statement:: Oil Lamp ( Paraffin help )
Relevant Equations:: Not sure what to write here

HI folks,

I'm trying to make an oil lamp from an old Vodka bottle.
The bottle is the usual 750ml and is in a skull shape bottle. ( maybe you know it )

Anyhow I have all the materials and almost ready to go but, I don't want
750ml or anything close to that number of lamp oil ( Paraffin of sorts ) in the bottle as
it may have a deadly consequences.
So my question to you all is what kind of liquid or substance can I put in the glass bottle
to fill it up ( that maybe hardens ) that can fill the bottle maybe half way so as not to have to put in so much
Paraffin. Also it would have to not react with the paraffin as I'd hate to have slight amounts of
say...Resin, or glue burning off with the oil.

Anybody know of a good solution?
thanks
Dan in Toronto
Hi folks. Thanks you so much for you help. I will try here to attach a picture of the lamp so far. Again it's a pretty thick old Vodka bottle with it's neck shaved off and Chimney glued on. I think the ball bearings or marbles idea might be the winner as it'd keep the wick from from mixing with water.
20210117_162642.jpg

Likes BillTre
Holy smokes! That's a vodka bottle? :woot:

Hey Berkeman,
Yes it's actually Dan Akroyd's Vodka company from Nova Scotia

Likes BillTre
berkeman said:
Holy smokes! That's a vodka bottle? :woot:
Mind you I primed and painted it of course. It originally is clear .

Likes BillTre
Daniel Lee said:
Hey Berkeman,
Yes it's actually Dan Akroyd's Vodka company from Nova Scotia
Kinda looks like Dan after one of our parties. He used to frequent the PF Mentor lounge. Hoo-boy, those were the days...

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and BillTre
I have a similar vodka bottle, but its an alien head instead of Dan's.
At some point in its production, the vodka or a precursor was run over some meteorite material, so its "out of this world!".

berkeman said:
Kinda looks like Dan after one of our parties. He used to frequent the PF Mentor lounge. Hoo-boy, those were the days...
Oh man this is funny!

Likes berkeman
Daniel Lee said:
Mind you I primed and painted it of course.

It's just not the same without a little lead in the vodka anyway.

• Haha
Likes BillTre
You might try a test tube insert. A little fiddly but sounds like just what you need.

Likes hmmm27
anorlunda said:

This simply amazing. The oil seeps slowly inside and everything drowns...:))

Likes 256bits
Sand will work. Add a bit of glue if you want it to stay in place.

Glass fibre resin - be careful - it gets hot when setting.

Potting compound/resin.

Mortar.

Molten lead - don't breathe any fumes as they are extremely toxic. Don't use if it will damage the skull.

Bore a hole in the base and insert a glass bottle for the oil and glue it in place.

Likes 256bits

1. What is the purpose of filling a glass bottle with a liquid that hardens?

The purpose of filling a glass bottle with a liquid that hardens is to lower its volume and create more space for storage or transportation. This is especially useful for fragile items that need to be protected during transit.

2. What type of liquid should I use to fill a glass bottle and lower its volume?

The type of liquid you use will depend on the purpose of the bottle and the level of hardness you want to achieve. Some common options include resin, epoxy, or silicone. It is important to choose a liquid that will not react with the glass and cause damage.

3. How much liquid should I use to fill a glass bottle and lower its volume?

The amount of liquid needed will depend on the size of the bottle and the desired level of hardness. It is recommended to fill the bottle about 3/4 full to allow room for expansion as the liquid hardens. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific liquid being used.

4. How long does it take for the liquid to harden and lower the volume of the glass bottle?

The hardening time will vary depending on the type of liquid used and the environmental conditions. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific liquid being used. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day for the liquid to completely harden and lower the volume of the bottle.

5. Can I reuse the glass bottle after filling it with a liquid that hardens?

Yes, you can reuse the glass bottle after filling it with a liquid that hardens. Once the liquid has completely hardened, it will create a protective layer inside the bottle. However, it is important to properly clean and dry the bottle before reusing it to ensure that there is no residue from the hardened liquid left inside.