What to study for GRE Specialized Topics

In summary, when studying for the physics GRE, it is recommended to use Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" and Griffith's Elementary Particles for condensed matter and particle physics respectively. Further review of astrophysics may be necessary depending on prior knowledge. A good introductory textbook can help in understanding the specialized topics.
faradayslaw
What to study for GRE "Specialized Topics"

Hi,

I am planning on taking the physics GRE and I have reviewed the topic list on the GRE's http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/about/content/physics" . I am wondering if anyone has any good suggestions of physics books to study to prepare for the "Specialized Topics" list
"Nuclear and Particle physics (e.g., nuclear properties, radioactive decay, fission and fusion, reactions, fundamental properties of elementary particles), Condensed Matter (e.g., crystal structure, x-ray diffraction, thermal properties, electron theory of metals, semiconductors, superconductors), Miscellaneous (e.g., astrophysics, mathematical methods, computer applications)"
everything except the mathematical methods and comp. apps. I could use some good reveiw on. Is Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" a good book to look at for the condensed matter stuff, and then Griffith's Elementary Particles for particle physics stuff? And I was also wondering how much astrophysics I should study?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
for your help.Yes, Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" and Griffith's Elementary Particles are both excellent resources for the topics mentioned, and should provide an excellent base for your studies. As for Astrophysics, it depends on what you are comfortable with. If you have some background in this field already, then studying a few of the more specialized topics shouldn't be too difficult. However, if you have no background in astrophysics, then you may need to invest a bit more time in it. In either case, a good introductory textbook will be helpful in getting you up to speed quickly.

Related to What to study for GRE Specialized Topics

1. What are the specialized topics covered in the GRE?

The specialized topics covered in the GRE include biology, chemistry, literature in English, mathematics, physics, and psychology.

2. How should I study for the specialized topics in the GRE?

The best way to study for the specialized topics in the GRE is to familiarize yourself with the content and format of the exam. Practice with past GRE questions and review any areas where you feel less confident.

3. Do I need to have a background in the specialized topics to do well on the GRE?

No, you do not need to have a background in the specialized topics to do well on the GRE. However, having some knowledge in these areas may give you an advantage in understanding the questions and answering them correctly.

4. Are there any resources available to help me study for the specialized topics in the GRE?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you study for the specialized topics in the GRE. You can use study guides, online practice tests, and review materials to prepare for the exam.

5. How much time should I dedicate to studying for the specialized topics in the GRE?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for the specialized topics in the GRE will vary depending on your current knowledge and understanding of the topics. It is recommended to spend at least a few weeks reviewing and practicing before the exam.