What topic in Electromagnetism do students find most difficult?

In summary: The topic in electromagnetism that students usually have most difficult understanding than other areas is the physical concepts and the meanings for 'Ground' and 'Potential'.
kent davidge
Is there a topic in electromagnetism that students usually have most difficult understanding than other areas?

I'm having a hard time studying diffraction. It's been the most difficult part.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the stuff you find hard is always the most difficult part.
I know that is a stupid answer but everything is hard if you get far enough into it . That is why we cannot close the physics book and put it on the shelf.

Likes kent davidge and DaveE
Induced Voltage
Antenna Theory

Likes kent davidge
kent davidge said:
Is there a topic in electromagnetism that students usually have most difficult understanding than other areas?
ALL of it. Yes, ALL of it! This might have been (for me,) due to remaining immaturity in Calculus, Trigonometry, & Vectors when one could not SEE them; as well as just the physical concepts being yet too difficult for me. I still never understood the meanings for 'Ground' and 'Potential'.

I'm having a hard time studying diffraction. It's been the most difficult part.
Surprising. Nearly everything in the "Modern Physics" course was much easier to study, and understand than in the "Electricity & Magnetism" course (these for the Physics series courses for Science & Engineering students). Optics relied mostly on basic Trigonometry and Algebra. Far less stressful; far less confusing.

Likes kent davidge
For me, it was the EM inside materials (all this stuff with ##\vec{D}## and ##\vec{H}##), and also the synchrotron radiation from the Liénard-Wiechert potentials.

Likes kent davidge
for me, it was the Div, Grad, Curl, and All That.

especially the curl.

Likes kent davidge
symbolipoint said:
ALL of it. Yes, ALL of it!
Decades ago, when I was a first year graduate student, we were required to work through the entirety of J.D. Jackson's "Classical Electrodynamics". On the first day a class the E&M instructor announced; "Jackson's publisher has agreed to replace your used copy of the book in the event you throw it out the window and damage it some how." In other words, don't give up.

Likes kent davidge
Dielectric and magnetic materials were terrible for me.

Likes kent davidge
I think Radiation was the hardest. Especially deriving the Lienard-Weichert Potentials.

Likes kent davidge

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

The main difference between electric and magnetic fields is that electric fields are created by stationary charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving charges. Electric fields exert forces on other charges, while magnetic fields exert forces on moving charges. Additionally, electric fields are radial, while magnetic fields are circular.

2. How do I calculate the strength of an electric or magnetic field?

The strength of an electric field is measured in volts per meter (V/m), while the strength of a magnetic field is measured in teslas (T). To calculate the strength of an electric field, you can use the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. To calculate the strength of a magnetic field, you can use the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

3. What is the right-hand rule in electromagnetism?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of a magnetic field or force in relation to a current-carrying wire. It states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field or force. This rule is commonly used in electromagnetism to determine the direction of forces on charged particles in a magnetic field.

4. How does electromagnetism relate to everyday life?

Electromagnetism is essential in many everyday technologies, such as electricity, telecommunications, and transportation. Electric motors, generators, and transformers all use the principles of electromagnetism to function. Additionally, radio waves, microwaves, and x-rays are all forms of electromagnetic radiation that are used in communication and medical imaging.

5. What is the difference between direct and alternating current?

Direct current (DC) is the flow of electric charge in one direction, while alternating current (AC) is the flow of electric charge that periodically reverses direction. DC is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices, while AC is used in power grids and household appliances. The main difference between the two is that DC provides a constant flow of energy, while AC can be easily converted to different voltages and is more efficient for long-distance transmission.