How to study heavily informative topics for long hours?

In summary, the less time available, the more challenging it becomes to study for long stretches. The student would like to hear from engg students who practice this, as they find that they cannot do it as efficiently as they would like.
Steelgrip
TL;DR Summary: Less time available hence need to study for long stretches. Need to study Optics, Fluids, Electromagnetism in astoundingly less time. Would love to hear from engg students who practice this.

I didn't know where to include this kind of question, so posting it here. Anybody tell me where to post it, I will immediately shift it there. Thank You.

Hello there, 12th grade student from India, need to prepare for the JEE (engg entrance). I need to study Optics, Fluids and Electromagnetism and I have very little time in hand.

Though I can comfortably make it if put in around 8 hours per day, which is very doable.

The problem is, when studying these kind of topics, they are too informative, and not just plain theory. There's just too much information when I'm going in to clear my concepts.

I would study Math for 8 hours no problem-but with physics, the brain starts getting tired very quickly. Any suggestions that would help me?

I would love to hear from engg students who I know do on a regular basis, what I need to do. You guys can study for your end-sems for like 3 days and score great percentages. Add to that, engg subjects are more theoretical than what I do right now. I want to know how you guys do it!

I would like to add that I'm looking for answers that will actually help... the next month is the most crucial for me, and I know that I can make it, so please no negative comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you answered your question? If it's too much material to absorb at once, you need to either break it up into smaller chunks, or slow down.

I understand you don't want to do it,. but what we want and what is possible aren't necessarily the same thing.

Likes Steelgrip and Joshy
Some tips:
  • Develop a solid study plan with specific, manageable (SMART) goals. Make sure you can track your progress.
  • Make sure your plan tracks with the syllabus so that you'll be able to cover everything you need to. Avoid spending too much time on stuff you already know. Some students can keep drilling through material they're confident with just because there are unanswered problems in front of them.
  • Learn how you study. Some people can sit for hours on end and focus on one thing. Most people cannot. Learn how long you can be efficient and break your studying into segments that are that long.
  • Seek feedback as much as possible. If you're on the wrong track with something, it's better to find out sooner rather than later.
  • Control your study environment as much as you can. Again much of this comes back to learning how you study best. Some people really like background noise, so studying in a busy cafe helps. Others can't stand this and need solitude.
  • Limit distractions. Sometimes this is easier said than done. This includes turning off your phone and scheduling your study time for when you don't have other responsibilities.
  • Keep your life balanced. There is only so much you can accomplish in the short term. Life is a long game. take good care of yourself... get adequate sleep, eat properly, get adequate exercise, socialize. Your brain burns out a lot more quickly when you're tired, or otherwise deficient in some area.
  • Take the time to kindle your own interests. Sometimes it's important to read just for the sake of reading or because you find something interesting.
  • Spend time with people who have similar goals, and ideally ones who are a little further along than you.

• Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, Steelgrip, berkeman and 1 other person
Steelgrip said:
I would study Math for 8 hours no problem-but with physics, the brain starts getting tired very quickly.
What helped me way back was to mix the study with some (related) exercises. A chunk of theory and then a chunk of exercise.
Then, a short walk. Or a quarter hour nap.
Well, it was a bit strange to have six or seven naps in a day before exams, but ... well, it worked for me o0)

Likes Steelgrip

1. How can I stay focused while studying heavily informative topics for long hours?

One way to stay focused while studying heavily informative topics for long hours is to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks with short breaks in between. This will help prevent burnout and keep your mind fresh. Additionally, try to eliminate any distractions and create a quiet and comfortable study environment.

2. What are some effective study techniques for retaining a large amount of information?

Some effective study techniques for retaining a large amount of information include creating flashcards, summarizing key points, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and making connections. It may also be helpful to use mnemonic devices or visual aids to aid in memory retention.

3. How can I manage my time effectively while studying heavily informative topics?

To manage your time effectively while studying heavily informative topics, try creating a study schedule or to-do list. Prioritize the most important topics and allocate more time to them. It may also be helpful to set specific goals for each study session and track your progress.

4. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed while studying heavily informative topics for long hours?

If you feel overwhelmed while studying heavily informative topics for long hours, take a short break to relax and refocus. Consider talking to a friend or family member about your studies to gain a different perspective. It may also be helpful to seek support from a tutor or teacher if you are struggling with specific concepts.

5. How can I make studying heavily informative topics for long hours more enjoyable?

To make studying heavily informative topics for long hours more enjoyable, try to find ways to make the material personally relevant or interesting to you. This could include relating it to real-life situations or finding practical applications for the information. You can also reward yourself after completing a study session or set small achievable goals to stay motivated.