What type of dielectric is used in an NP0 capacitor?

In summary, NP0 capacitors use a type of dielectric known as Class I ceramic, which is made of a combination of metal oxides. This type of dielectric has a high stability and low loss, making it ideal for use in high frequency applications. It also has a low temperature coefficient, meaning it maintains its capacitance value over a wide range of temperatures. NP0 capacitors are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.
sodoyle
TL;DR Summary
What type of ceramic is an NP0 capacitor made from? I know X7R is barium titanite, but I can't find NP0.
What type of ceramic is an NP0 capacitor made from? I know X7R is barium titanite, but I can't find NP0.

Engineering news on Phys.org
https://www.avx.com/products/ceramic-capacitors/surface-mount/c0g-np0-dielectric/
"C0G (NP0) is the most popular formulation of the “temperature-compensating,” EIA Class I ceramic materials. Modern C0G (NP0) formulations contain neodymium, samarium and other rare Earth oxides. C0G (NP0) ceramics offer one of the most stable capacitor dielectrics available. Capacitance change with temperature is 0 ±30ppm/°C which is less than ±0.3% C from -55°C to +125°C. Capacitance drift or hysteresis for C0G (NP0) ceramics is negligible at less than ±0.05% versus up to ±2% for films. Typical capacitance change with life is less than ±0.1% for C0G (NP0), one-fifth that shown by most other dielectrics."

Likes sodoyle
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. Even though C0G is a temperature coefficient, it's also interesting that they're have a lot flatter CV curve.

1. What is an NP0 capacitor?

An NP0 capacitor, also known as a C0G capacitor, is a type of ceramic capacitor that offers high stability and low losses over a wide temperature range. It is commonly used in applications that require precise and stable capacitance values, such as in timing circuits and filters.

2. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that can store and transmit electric energy. In the context of capacitors, the dielectric is the insulating material that separates the two conducting plates and allows the capacitor to store charge.

3. Why is NP0 the preferred dielectric for capacitors?

NP0 is the preferred dielectric for capacitors because it has a very low temperature coefficient of capacitance, meaning its capacitance remains stable over a wide range of temperatures. It also has low losses, high insulation resistance, and high breakdown voltage, making it suitable for high-performance applications.

4. What are the advantages of using an NP0 capacitor?

Some advantages of using an NP0 capacitor include its high stability, low losses, and low temperature coefficient of capacitance. It also has high insulation resistance and high breakdown voltage, making it suitable for use in high-frequency and high-temperature applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using an NP0 capacitor?

While NP0 capacitors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. They have a lower capacitance per unit volume compared to other types of capacitors, and they are more expensive to manufacture. They also have a lower maximum operating voltage and may be more susceptible to mechanical stress due to their ceramic construction.