What type of pressure and temperature sensors should I use?

In summary, when choosing pressure and temperature sensors, it is important to consider the type of environment they will be used in and the specific requirements of the application. For high-pressure environments, solid-state sensors such as piezoresistive or piezoelectric sensors are suitable, while for low-pressure environments, capacitive sensors are a good option. Temperature sensors can be chosen based on their accuracy, response time, and temperature range. Thermocouples and resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) are commonly used for their wide temperature range, while thermistors are preferred for their fast response time. Ultimately, the selection of sensors should be based on the specific needs and conditions of the intended use.
yousaf nasir
hello. My FYP is to observe the behavior of a valveless pulse jet by changing shape and dimensions of combustion chamber( i am keeping the volume of combustion chamber constant). i need to know what type of sensor should i use for temperature and pressure measurement. I mean temperature should be around 2000 Celsius-2500 Celsius and compression ratio is about 1.2.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Honestly I don't think there will be any sensors available which can put up with those temperatures directly... You might have to implement some less conventional solutions to get what you need.

Have you considered a non-contact infrared approach for temperature measurement?

Here is a probe that is good to 2300C: http://www.omega.com/pptst/XTA-W5R26.html

I hope you don't need too many of them.

BoB

Note: Omega states that probe is "Very Sensitive to Oxidation Above 570°F" which means it may need periodic replacement due to oxidation. I would think a non-contact probe would be a more reliable approach.

You are going to need a sensor that extends out into the combustion chamber, otherwise it will primarily just read the temperature of the walls, which will have a very large thermal inertial and not change nearly as fast as the gas temperature will. Similarly, you will need a very high frequency response because presumably your pulses are likely short. Combining that with the high temperatures will be... problematic. I know type G, C, and D thermocouples from Omega (which are not industry standard designations) can go up to something like 2300°C, which is likely close enough. They don't likely have high frequency response, though it might be worth a try. Otherwise you are probably stuck with some of the more standard thermocouple types which might have high-speed varieties (I know they exist for type E) and you just will perhaps have a lot of measurement error at your high temperatures.

As for pressure, The highest temperature I saw in a (very quick) Google search was ~400°C. Basically, what you will have to likely do is get a high-frequency pressure transducer and find a way to keep it cool. I suspect that won't be a problem due to the fact that your pulse times are likely so short that very little thermal energy is likely transferred to the transducer.

1. What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure sensors?

Absolute pressure sensors measure pressure relative to a perfect vacuum, while gauge pressure sensors measure pressure relative to atmospheric pressure.

2. How do I determine the range of pressure and temperature my sensors need to measure?

The range of pressure and temperature that your sensors need to measure will depend on the specific application and operating conditions. It is important to consider the maximum and minimum values that your sensors will encounter in order to select the appropriate range.

3. What type of material should the sensors be made of?

The material of the sensors should be carefully selected based on the environment they will be exposed to. For example, if the sensors will be in contact with corrosive substances, they should be made of corrosion-resistant materials such as stainless steel or titanium.

4. Can I use the same sensor for both pressure and temperature measurements?

Yes, there are sensors available that can measure both pressure and temperature. These are known as pressure-temperature sensors and can be useful for applications where both measurements are needed.

5. What is the accuracy and resolution of the sensors?

The accuracy and resolution of sensors can vary greatly depending on the type and brand. It is important to carefully review the specifications and select sensors that meet your required accuracy and resolution for your application.