What was the composition of ether according to the ancients?

In summary, ether was considered to be a volatile liquid that was used to euthanize insects, it had a nice smell, and scientists at the turn of the 19th century were still trying to figure out what it was.
Science news on Phys.org
Isn't the ether made of...ether?

1659147825313.png

Likes russ_watters
“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge,”

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
jeane300 said:
Define "ancients". In the U.S. that generally means the ancient Greeks or earlier. Is that what you have in mind?

It wasn't composed of anything, ether just was. To 19th century scientists it had zero density and infinite rigidity, properties like that.

Aether was like 'air' in their eyes I suppose. Space? It's really hard to describe what it could be like without using the word aether!

The speed of light experiments Michelson Morley dispensed with the notion from memory.

Ether is a volatile liquid that we used euthanise a lot of insects at university.
It smells nice.

Likes jeane300
From Elements of Natural Philosophy, by Elroy M. Avery, Ph.D., Sheldon and Company, 1878 and 1885:

Lumiferous Ether.jpg

Lumiferous Ether 2.jpg

I knew there was a reason I kept that book. Important knowledge such as this must not be lost.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd, mcastillo356, jeane300 and 2 others
We still don't know what question we're answering since @jeane300 has not bothered to define what "ancients" she's talking about. To me 1878 is NOT "ancient", it's just slightly elderly. Like me, only more so.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, jeane300 and berkeman
jrmichler said:
I knew there was a reason I kept that book. Important knowledge such as this must not be lost.
Fantastic connections , thanku very much.

phinds said:
Define "ancients". In the U.S. that generally means the ancient Greeks or earlier. Is that what you have in mind?
Yes, I am talking about ancient Greeks and medieval science,

pinball1970 said:
Aether was like 'air' in their eyes I suppose. Space? It's really hard to describe what it could be like without using the word aether!

The speed of light experiments Michelson Morley dispensed with the notion from memory.

Ether is a volatile liquid that we used euthanise a lot of insects at university.
It smells nice.
It's funny because when we talk about 'ether' the reference is always the smell heheheh

phinds said:
We still don't know what question we're answering since @jeane300 has not bothered to define what "ancients" she's talking about. To me 1878 is NOT "ancient", it's just slightly elderly. Like me, only more so.
I put, Greeks, and medieval science

jeane300 said:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/539311/files/ext-2002-016.pdf

jeane300 said:
I put, Greeks, and medieval science

No, your OP had a link to more modern "ether/aether" topics, not ancient Greece.

This thread is a mess, and is now closed. Please PM me again to see if we can salvage a new thread start for whatever the heck you are really asking. Lordy.

Likes phinds

What is ether according to the ancients?

Ether, also known as quintessence or aether, was believed by the ancients to be a fifth element that made up the celestial bodies and the space between them. It was thought to be a pure and divine substance that filled the universe.

How did the ancients describe the composition of ether?

The ancients believed that ether was composed of tiny, invisible particles that were perfectly smooth and spherical. These particles were thought to be in constant motion, creating a subtle and imperceptible vibration throughout the universe.

Did the ancients believe that ether was tangible?

No, the ancients did not believe that ether was tangible in the same way that other elements like earth, air, fire, and water were. It was considered to be a more spiritual and intangible substance, existing beyond the physical realm.

What role did ether play in ancient cosmology?

Ether was believed to be the substance that filled the space between the celestial bodies and held them in place. It was also thought to be the medium through which light and other forms of energy traveled.

How did the concept of ether change over time?

The concept of ether evolved over time, with different civilizations and cultures having their own interpretations and beliefs about its composition. It was eventually rejected by modern science as a physical substance, but its influence can still be seen in various philosophical and spiritual beliefs.