How to work out this impact force

In summary, during a Formula 1 race, a car traveling at a speed of 172.8 km/h crashed into a wall and came to a complete stop in 0.0272 seconds. The driver of the car had a mass of 70kg. Using the acceleration formula, the impact force was calculated to be 12,096N. However, this problem does not take into account gravity, and the units for acceleration were incorrect. After correcting the units, the acceleration was found to be -1,764.71m/s^2. Multiplying this by the mass of the driver, the impact force was determined to be 123,529.7N. This exercise serves as a reminder of the dangers of high
Lily May

Homework Statement

During a Formula 1 race a car that was traveling at a speed of 172.8 km/h crashed into a wall. When the car hit the wall it came to a complete stop in 0.0272 s. If the driver of the car holds a mass of 70kg, calculate the impact force he experienced.

Homework Equations

I honestly don't know. F = m*a or F= GMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do?
F= m*a
= 70*172.8
= 12 096N

Physics news on Phys.org
Lily May said:

Homework Equations

I honestly don't know. F = m*a or F= GMm/r^2
I don't think gravity will have anything to do with this problem, so you can forget that last equation.

Lily May said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do?
F= m*a
= 70*172.8
= 12 096N
What is the acceleration (meaning "deceleration" in this case) of the car as it hits the wall?

Lily May said:
F= m*a
= 70*172.8

Does the unit for acceleration match the unit of the number you've plugged in for 'a'? If not, how might you get that unit from the information provided?

Likes DrClaude
DrClaude said:
I don't think gravity will have anything to do with this problem, so you can forget that last equation.What is the acceleration (meaning "deceleration" in this case) of the car as it hits the wall?
Am I meant to use the acceleration formula for that?
a= v1 - v2 / t

Lily May said:
Am I meant to use the acceleration formula for that?
a= v1 - v2 / t
Yes. [But it should be v2 - v1 if v2 is the final velocity. And parentheses can be helpful: a = (v2 - v1)/t.]

Drakkith said:
Does the unit for acceleration match the unit of the number you've plugged in for 'a'? If not, how might you get that unit from the information provided?

So you'd have to mutiple the number by 1000 then divide by 3600?
172.8*1000= 172800
172800/3600= 48m/s/s

Lily May said:
172.8*1000= 172800
172800/3600= 48m/s/s
Put units everywhere:
$$
\begin{align*}
172.8\frac{\mathrm{km}}{\mathrm{h}} \times \frac{1000\ \mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{km}} &= 172800 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{h}} \\
172800 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{h}} \times \frac{\mathrm{h}}{3600\ \mathrm{s}} &= 48 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}
\end{align*}
$$

DrClaude said:
Yes. [But it should be v2 - v1 if v2 is the final velocity. And parentheses can be helpful: a = (v2 - v1)/t.]

So
v2 = 0?
v1= 48m/s^2
t = 0.0272s

Lily May said:
172.8*1000= 172800
172800/3600= 48m/s/s

DC seems to be helping you well at the moment. I'm going to step out and let him handle it for now. I'll pop back in later though.

DrClaude said:
Put units everywhere:
$$
\begin{align*}
172.8\frac{\mathrm{km}}{\mathrm{h}} \times \frac{1000\ \mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{km}} &= 172800 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{h}} \\
172800 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{h}} \times \frac{\mathrm{h}}{3600\ \mathrm{s}} &= 48 \frac{\mathrm{m}}{\mathrm{s}}
\end{align*}
$$
Whoops, I'll be sure to do that, thanks. So then do I use the acceleration fomula or the force fomula?

Lily May said:
So
v2 = 0?
v1= 48m/s^2
t = 0.0272s
Are you sure about the units of v1? What is the acceleration?

DrClaude said:
Are you sure about the units of v1? What is the acceleration?
v1 = 48m/s
a = (v2 - v1)/t.]
= 0 - 48m/s
= -48m/s / 0.0272s
a = -1 764.71m/s
that doesn't seem right

Lily May said:
v1 = 48m/s
a = (v2 - v1)/t.]
= 0 - 48m/s
= -48m/s / 0.0272s
a = -1 764.71m/s
that doesn't seem right
Units... if you divide meters per second by seconds, what do you get?

Lily May said:
v1 = 48m/s
a = (v2 - v1)/t.]
= 0 - 48m/s
= -48m/s / 0.0272s
a = -1 764.71m/s
that doesn't seem right

The math looks correct, you just have it in units of velocity instead of acceleration.

Drakkith said:
The math looks correct, you just have it in units of velocity instead of acceleration.
So I'd just change the end to -1 764.71m/s^2 = a
And mass = 70kg
Then I multiple those two together to get the impact force/final answer?

Lily May said:
So I'd just change the end to -1 764.71m/s^2 = a
And mass = 70kg
Then I multiple those two together to get the impact force/final answer?
Correct.

DrClaude said:
Correct.
Thank you all!

Bit of a macabre exercise. 180 g can not be survived by a human. This looks like a post mortem review ..
Fortunately head-on crashes with concrete walls are rare in F1.

Likes DrClaude

1. What is impact force?

Impact force is the force that results when two objects collide with each other. It is a measure of the amount of force that is exerted on an object upon impact.

2. How is impact force calculated?

Impact force can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration caused by the impact. Additionally, the coefficient of restitution, which measures the elasticity of the objects involved, can also be factored into the calculation.

3. What factors affect impact force?

The factors that affect impact force include the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of impact, and the surface materials of the objects. The coefficient of restitution also plays a role in determining impact force.

4. How is impact force measured?

Impact force can be measured using force sensors or accelerometers, which can be attached to the objects involved in the collision. The data from these sensors can then be used to calculate the impact force using the appropriate equations.

5. Why is understanding impact force important?

Understanding impact force is important in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and sports. It allows us to predict the effects of collisions and design safer structures and equipment. It is also crucial in understanding the mechanics of sports, such as the force exerted on a player during a tackle in football.