What Will the Clock Read at the Turnaround Point in the Twins Paradox?

• Thread starter Al68
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, the conversation discusses adding a third observer to the twins paradox at the turnaround point, with a clock that is synchronized with the other two when the ship left Earth. The discussion also touches on how the third observer and the ship's twin could look at each other's clocks and what they would observe. The conversation also mentions the use of coordinate charts and computing to determine the clock readings in different scenarios. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the detailed answers did not spoil the opportunity for the original poster to gain experience and solve the problem.
Al68
If we add a third observer to the twins paradox at the turnaround point (at rest with earth), and with a clock that was synched with the other two when the ship left earth, what will that clock read when this third observer sees the ship turn around?

Assuming v= 0.8c, distance = 8 ly.

Also, since this third observer and the ship's twin could look at each other's clocks (locally), what would each observe the other's clock to read?

Thanks,
Al

Physics news on Phys.org
Al68 said:
If we add a third observer to the twins paradox at the turnaround point (at rest with earth), and with a clock that was synched with the other two when the ship left earth,
Do you mean... the third observer and the Earthbound twin have synchronized their clocks according to Einstein's convention? Or equivalently, measuring simultaneity relative to an inertial coordinate chart where both the third observer and Earthbound twin are stationary, their clocks read the same value at the same (coordinate) time?

what will that clock read when this third observer sees the ship turn around?
Just choose a coordinate chart and compute! (An inertial coordinate chart centered on Earth is probably the simplest)

Assuming v= 0.8c, distance = 8 ly.
As measured by what coordinate chart?

Also, since this third observer and the ship's twin could look at each other's clocks (locally), what would each observe the other's clock to read?
Again, just select coordinates and compute!

In what way are you having trouble making the calculations?

Hurkyl said:
Do you mean... the third observer and the Earthbound twin have synchronized their clocks according to Einstein's convention? Or equivalently, measuring simultaneity relative to an inertial coordinate chart where both the third observer and Earthbound twin are stationary, their clocks read the same value at the same (coordinate) time?

Just choose a coordinate chart and compute! (An inertial coordinate chart centered on Earth is probably the simplest)

As measured by what coordinate chart?

Again, just select coordinates and compute!

In what way are you having trouble making the calculations?

Thanks for your thoughtful and complete answers to my questions.

Al

Al68 said:
Thanks for your thoughtful and complete answers to my questions.
You're welcome. But I did not intend to give a complete answer, but instead help you take this opportunity to gain experience through doing the problem (or to help correct whatever was preventing you from being able to do so, if appropriate). I apologize for denying you that opportunity, and will try harder to avoid spoiling the next problem.

Hurkyl said:
You're welcome. But I did not intend to give a complete answer, but instead help you take this opportunity to gain experience through doing the problem (or to help correct whatever was preventing you from being able to do so, if appropriate). I apologize for denying you that opportunity, and will try harder to avoid spoiling the next problem.

Oh, don't worry, you didn't deny me that opportunity. After all, I had that opportunity before I ever posted. So don't worry, your detailed answers didn't spoil it for me.

Al

Related to What Will the Clock Read at the Turnaround Point in the Twins Paradox?

1. What is the Twins Paradox?

The Twins Paradox is a thought experiment in physics that involves two identical twins, one of whom travels at high speeds in a spaceship while the other stays on Earth. According to the theory of relativity, the twin who travels will experience time dilation, meaning they will age slower than the twin who stays on Earth. This leads to a paradoxical situation where the traveling twin may end up younger than the twin who stayed behind.

2. What is the turnaround point in the Twins Paradox?

The turnaround point in the Twins Paradox refers to the moment when the traveling twin changes direction and begins their journey back to Earth. This is a crucial moment in the thought experiment as it marks the end of the time dilation effect and the beginning of the twin's journey back to Earth.

3. What will the clock read at the turnaround point in the Twins Paradox?

The clock on the traveling twin's spaceship will read less time than the clock on Earth at the turnaround point. This is because the traveling twin has experienced time dilation and has aged slower than the twin on Earth. The exact time difference will depend on the speed of the spaceship and the duration of the journey.

4. Can the traveling twin catch up to the aging of the twin on Earth?

No, it is not possible for the traveling twin to catch up to the aging of the twin on Earth. This is because the time dilation effect is a fundamental principle of the theory of relativity and cannot be reversed. The traveling twin will always be younger than the twin on Earth, even after they return.

5. Does the Twins Paradox have any real-world applications?

While the Twins Paradox is a thought experiment, the concept of time dilation has been observed and verified in experiments with high-speed particles. It also has practical applications in technologies such as GPS, where the effects of time dilation must be taken into account to ensure accurate navigation. Additionally, the thought experiment helps to illustrate the fundamental principles of the theory of relativity and its implications for our understanding of time and space.