What will the final velocity of the particles be?

Lotto
Homework Statement
I have a particle with invariant mass ##m_0## moving with speed ##v=0.999c##. It inelasticely collides with a particles at rest of the same mass ##m_0##. They connect and move with final speed ##u##. What will be the speed?
Relevant Equations
I would use the law of conservation of momentum, so ##\frac{m_0v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{2m_0 u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}##.
So I would get ##u=\frac{vc}{\sqrt{4c^2-3v^2}}=0.996c##. But the right answer is ##0.956c##. Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lotto said:
##\frac{m_0v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{2m_0 u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}##.
You have mistakenly assumed that the final mass is ##2 m_0##.

Likes PeroK
TSny said:
You have mistakenly assumed that the final mass is ##2 m_0##.
And what is the final mass?

Lotto said:
Homework Statement: I have a particle with invariant mass ##m_0## moving with speed ##v=0.999c##. It inelasticely collides with a particles at rest of the same mass ##m_0##. They connect and move with final speed ##u##. What will be the speed?
Relevant Equations: I would use the law of conservation of momentum, so ##\frac{m_0v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{2m_0 u}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}##.

So I would get ##u=\frac{vc}{\sqrt{4c^2-3v^2}}=0.996c##. But the right answer is ##0.956c##. Where is my mistake?
You are conserving 4-momentum, not the 3-momentum. So the 1 component is
##\gamma m_0 v = \gamma^{\prime} M u##

and the time component is
##\dfrac{1}{c}\sqrt{(m_0c^2)^2+(m_0 v c)^2} + m_0 c = \dfrac{1}{c}\sqrt{(Mc^2)^2+(M u c)^2}##

-Dan

Likes Lotto
Lotto said:
And what is the final mass?
There are two conserved quantities: the total energy of the system and the total momentum of the system. So, you can set up two equations for the two unknowns: ##M## and ##u##, where ##M## is the mass of the final particle.

Or, note that the mass of the final particle must satisfy the relation $$M^2=\left (\frac{E_f}{c^2}\right)^2 -\left(\frac{p_f}{c}\right)^2, $$ where ##E_f## and ##p_f## are the energy and momentum of the final particle. Using conservation of energy and momentum, this may be written as $$M^2=\left (\frac{E_{0,sys}}{c^2}\right)^2 -\left(\frac{p_{0,sys}}{c}\right)^2. $$ Here, ##E_{0,sys}## and ##p_{0,sys}## are the total energy and total momentum of the initial system.

Likes PeroK and nasu
OK, so I suppose that I can also write
$$m_0c^2+\frac{m_0c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{Mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}.$$

So the new invariant mass is ##M=6.855m_0##. But how is it possible that the mass of the system is bigger than at the beginning? Shouldn't be mass conserved? How to explain it?

Lotto said:
OK, so I suppose that I can also write
$$m_0c^2+\frac{m_0c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}=\frac{Mc^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}.$$

So the new invariant mass is ##M=6.855m_0##.
Yes.
Actually, I get ##M = 6.84m_0##. But our difference is probably just "round-off error".

Lotto said:
But how is it possible that the mass of the system is bigger than at the beginning? Shouldn't be mass conserved? How to explain it?
If you calculate the kinetic energy ##T_0## of the moving particle before the collision, you will find that ##T_0 = 21.37 m_0c^2##.

Likewise, you can show that the kinetic energy ##T_f## of the final particle is ##T_f = 16.53 m_0 c^2##.

Thus, there has been a decrease in kinetic energy during the collision of ##(21.37 - 16.53)m_0c^2 = 4.84 m_0c^2##.

Note that the rest mass energy of the final particle is greater than the sum of the individual initial rest mass energies by the amount ##6.84 m_0c^2 - 2m_0c^2 = 4.84m_0c^2##. This matches the loss in kinetic energy of the system.

So, we could interpret this as saying that some of the initial kinetic energy of the system has been converted into part of the rest mass of the final particle. Or we could say that there is an equivalence of the loss of kinetic energy and the gain in rest mass energy. This is an illustration of the "equivalence of mass and energy".

Last edited:
Likes Lotto and topsquark
Lotto said:
Shouldn't be mass conserved? How to explain it?
Rest mass is not a conserved quantity. Invariant mass (of a closed system) is conserved.

1. What factors determine the final velocity of particles?

The final velocity of particles is determined by several factors, including the initial velocity, acceleration, and the presence of external forces such as friction or gravity. The mass and shape of the particles can also affect their final velocity.

2. How is the final velocity of particles calculated?

The final velocity of particles can be calculated using the equation vf = vi + at, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed. This equation is based on the principles of Newton's second law of motion.

3. Can the final velocity of particles be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity of particles can be greater than the initial velocity. This can occur when the particles are accelerating or when external forces are acting on them, causing an increase in their velocity.

4. Is the final velocity of particles affected by the medium they are traveling through?

Yes, the final velocity of particles can be affected by the medium they are traveling through. For example, particles may experience air resistance when moving through air, which can decrease their final velocity. In a vacuum, particles would not experience this resistance and their final velocity may be greater.

5. How does the final velocity of particles relate to their energy?

The final velocity of particles is directly related to their kinetic energy. As the final velocity increases, so does the kinetic energy of the particles. This relationship is described by the equation KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, m is the mass of the particles, and v is the velocity.