What would be the approximate rotation of the sun if....

In summary: Thank you! I used I1ωo=I2ωf and solved for ωf. After I solved for this I got 133,800rev. I then divided this final answer by 25d, or 25x2x10km since the suns radius is now that of a neutron star instead of it's original 6.69x108 m. This gave me a value of 267.7 rev/s, which according to the problem statement makes sense. I'm not exactly confident in my method though so I would like to know if this is correct.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

The sun is a pretty typical star with a mass of 1.99x1030kg and a radius of 6.69x108 m. Since it isn't solid, it doesn't rotate uniformly, but has an average rotation rate of 1rev/25d. A star with a mass about about three times that of the Sun eventually explodes as a supernova and leaves behind its collapsed remnants - a neutron star or a black hole. Neutron stars masses are somewhat lower than the masses of the original stars, but have much smaller radii, less than 10 km. Newly-collapsed neutron stars emit beams of radio waves; since they rotate so quickly, the beams may intersect Earth at regular intervals. To produce the observed pulsar rates, the rotation rates must vary from 1rev/s to 1000rev/s.

What would be the approximate rotation rate of the Sun if it became a neutron star with a radius of 10km? Assume it is spherical, with a uniform mass distribution, and that its moment of inertia if 0.059MR2 (Since it is not a solid you can not use I for a solid sphere).

Homework Equations

I1ωo=I2ωf conservation of angular momentum
ωavg = 1rev/25d
ω0 = 1rev/(25x2x6.69x108m) = 2.99x10-11 rev/s
I1=0.059(1.99x1030kg)(6.69x108m)2
I2 = 0.059(1.99x1030)(10m)2
ωf = ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I used I1ωo=I2ωf and solved for ωf. After I solved for this I got 133,800rev. I then divided this final answer by 25d, or 25x2x10km since the suns radius is now that of a neutron star instead of it's original 6.69x108 m. This gave me a value of 267.7 rev/s, which according to the problem statement makes sense. I'm not exactly confident in my method though so I would like to know if this is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I used I1ωo=I2ωf and solved for ωf. After I solved for this I got 133,800rev. I then divided this final answer by 25d, or 25x2x10km since the suns radius is now that of a neutron star instead of it's original 6.69x108 m. This gave me a value of 267.7 rev/s, which according to the problem statement makes sense. I'm not exactly confident in my method though so I would like to know if this is correct.

Vitani11 said:
1rev/(25x2x6.69x108m)
Why are you dividing the rate by the radius?
Vitani11 said:
I2 = 0.059(1.99x1030)(10m)2
Having collapsed to a neutron star, it is no longer a ball of gas.
Also, the new radius is 10km, not 10m.

Okay am I supposed to assume that a neutron star is to be regarded as a point mass? sphere? Also what is d? I saw it as a rotation rate as a function of radius which is why I did that

Vitani11 said:
Okay am I supposed to assume that a neutron star is to be regarded as a point mass? sphere? Also what is d? I saw it as a rotation rate as a function of radius which is why I did that

A 10 km radius point would be a good trick :smile: Treat it as a solid sphere. The "d" in 25d is meant to be the units, "days". You could have googled "sun rotation" to pick up on that.

Okay. Now I'm getting a number that disturbs me. 30,565 revolutions per second?!

Vitani11 said:
Okay. Now I'm getting a number that disturbs me. 30,565 revolutions per second?!
Looks a bit high (a couple of orders of magnitude). Check your calculations and see if you've picked up a factor of 100 somewhere (say via unit conversions or mucking some power of ten exponent work).

Failing that, present some details of your calculation steps.

Beautiful thank you. I got the correct answer which I'm confident in. It's reassuring (but also not) that the issue lies in the algebra and interpretation rather than the physics, lol

1. What would be the approximate rotation of the sun if it had a larger mass?

If the sun had a larger mass, its rotation would slow down due to the conservation of angular momentum. This means that as the mass increases, the rotational speed decreases in order to maintain the same angular momentum.

2. How would the rotation of the sun change if it had a smaller diameter?

If the sun had a smaller diameter, its rotation would increase due to the same principle of conservation of angular momentum. As the diameter decreases, the rotational speed increases to maintain the same angular momentum.

3. What would be the impact on the sun's rotation if it had a different composition?

The composition of the sun does not have a significant impact on its rotation. The rotation of the sun is primarily determined by its mass and size, not its composition.

4. How does the rotation of the sun affect the Earth and other planets?

The rotation of the sun creates a magnetic field that affects the Earth and other planets in our solar system. This magnetic field can cause phenomena such as the Aurora Borealis and solar flares, which can impact our planet's atmosphere and communication systems.

5. Can the rotation of the sun change over time?

Yes, the rotation of the sun can change over time. This is due to the transfer of angular momentum between the sun and other objects in the solar system, as well as internal processes within the sun such as convection and magnetic fields. However, these changes are very gradual and not noticeable in human timescales.