What would probably be the most impactful steps to stop seal bashing?

• News
  • Thread starter Jurrasic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Seal
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of seal bashing and the ethical implications of seal hunting. While some argued that it is a sustainable practice and a source of income for families, others highlighted the inhumane methods used and the attention given to it compared to other illegal hunts. The idea of creating a club to raise awareness and promote action to stop seal bashing was also discussed.
A man has to make his living somehow, and if that involves hitting a seal over the head with a crowbar, than so be it. People are too sensitive now-a-days.

Seals are pests, cute pests with fluffy fur that just so happens to look awesome on the inside of a female jacket.

Is clubbing seals wrong? No, it is a lot better than shooting them. Cheaper too. If you shoot a seal you will lose money because the fur around the entry and exit wounds will be damaged yielding a lower price in the market.

Physics news on Phys.org
MotoH said:
A man has to make his living somehow, and if that involves hitting a seal over the head with a crowbar, than so be it. People are too sensitive now-a-days.

Seals are pests, cute pests with fluffy fur that just so happens to look awesome on the inside of a female jacket.

Is clubbing seals wrong? No, it is a lot better than shooting them. Cheaper too. If you shoot a seal you will lose money because the fur around the entry and exit wounds will be damaged yielding a lower price in the market.

I'm not really sure this is your most convincing argument to win over naysayers... :rolleyes:

Simply a hypothetical question, but if you were caught in a baby seal field (lol) in the middle of winter, where it is -40F and you would die if you have no way to keep warm, and all you had was a club. Would you bash some baby seals heads into survive the night? Or would you place yourself at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder because "they are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!1231(*!(@#!"

MotoH said:
Simply a hypothetical question, but if you were caught in a baby seal field (lol) in the middle of winter, where it is -40F and you would die if you have no way to keep warm, and all you had was a club. Would you bash some baby seals heads into survive the night? Or would you place yourself at the bottom of the evolutionary ladder because "they are so cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute!1231(*!(@#!"
MotoH, dotman has preceded you in resorting to emotional appeals and faulty analogies. If you engage him at this level, you will find yourself on a battlefield where these logical fallacies are fair game.

Engage him on a rational level, and he will have no recourse except logic, which will eventually force him to learn something or to walk away.

Note that this discission will outlive both dotman's and our participation. It will live in perpetuity for others to see and learn how issues are handled rationally.

I'm sorry, are you on the Pro-club side? Because I can come in here with some smashing (get it?) points on how seal clubbing is beneficial to humans and animals alike

MotoH said:
I'm sorry, are you on the Pro-club side? Because I can come in here with some smashing (get it?) points on how seal clubbing is beneficial to humans and animals alike
What side am I on? I am on the rational side. There are reasons both for and against. I just wish to be sure that rationality prevails. No emotional appeals, no 'it's so obvious' cop-outs.

There are compelling reasons for seal hunts. And we here in the south not liking it is simply not a compelling reason to stop it. As to how they are killled, that is a more subtle question. It needs to be addressed in terms of prods and cons. But I do agree that "don't kill them because they're cute" is not a valid argument.

I am glad you are off the fence. It must have been uncomfortable up there :smile:

First of all, they are not baby seals. They have to be at least 1 year old, and can not have their white fur. This applies to commercial and personal hunting of seals.

Why use a club? Well I will first explain to the best of my ability the personal side, and the commercial side.

If you are of the Inuit, or other tribes of Alaska and Canada in the coastal areas. You are not going to have a lot of money, especially if you live the traditional way. A device that uses an electrical charge is far to expensive, and ammunition doesn't come cheap. A club can be made out of anything. Also tradition comes into play. They have been doing this for 4,000 years, if they found a quicker and more humane way to kill seals, they would have found it already. Trust me, the native cultures all around the world hold great admiration to the animals they hunt for food and accessories. The Ojibwe people refer to every animal as brother, and they have great respect for the animal they killed because it has given up it's life for them. The Inuit who club seals are not cruel heartless people just there to kill animals, it is part of their culture, and they go about it very carefully as to cause the least amount of pain to the animal.

On the commercial side, they probably have a better way to go about this I just haven't read into it enough. I don't really know the figures on how much seal meat and skin are going for, but if it is a pretty good ammount, then their should be some R&D in some sort of quicker, more efficient and less painful way of killing seals, while being cost effective also.
Who knows, maybe the club is the best way to knock these seals out.

The one thing I know for sure, is the animal rights activists have blown this (as they have with everything else they do. I'm looking at you PETA) way out of proportion.

MotoH said:
Why use a club?
And somedthing you sort of touched on but didn't explicitly say: clubs actually limit the kill count. One man, one club = one seal at a time.

I would be an interesting publicity stunt to have a race. Send out two men, one with a gun and the other with a club, and see how many the gunman could kill in the time (and effort!) it took the clubber to kill just one.

Very good point!

Playing on the human mind here.

I guarantee you the person with the gun will feel less attached to his prey, and will be willing to kill more than the man with the club because he can fire at a distance.
The man with the club will look for the right seal, and will feel far more connected to his prey than the gunman. When you can see the "whites" of your preys eyes, it brings far more emotion into play. I know when I bow hunt and when I rifle hunt, they are two far different things.

MotoH said:
Very good point!

Playing on the human mind here.

I guarantee you the person with the gun will feel less attached to his prey...

I was being more pragmatic. You could probably shoot a dozen seals dead from 50 yards in the time it takes someone to run up within arms' reach and club one.

dotman wants to arm them all??

Maybe we should throw our own faulty analogy at him...

You and fifty of your friends are standing around in a schoolyard. A man pulls up at the curb and gets out, obviously aiming to kill as many of you as possible. What would you rather he be carrying? A club or a rifle?

If seals were meant to have guns, they would have opposable thumbs. 'Nuf said.

edit in reply to your edit:

depends, are we all fat and can't run, or are we athletic?

If fat, the gun. Just shoot me and get over with it, I am not running

If skinny, the club. Who can't run from a man with a club? (seals apparently)

I'm not going to argue with you about whether clubbing baby seals is wrong or not. I think you might argue with me here about it, because the anonymity of the internet means you don't actually have to look someone in the eye and say, 'Yes, I support clubbing baby seals to death.'

But I doubt you'd say that at your kid's PTA meeting to his friend's mother up the street, if the subject came up. I only have one thing to respond to, because I found it semi-funny:

DaveC426913 said:
Are you completely missing it? Money does not come until the public at large is aware of the issue.

I can contribute $100 of my own, and at the end I'll have $100 for my cause. Or I can spend $100 on increasing awareness of the issue, reach 10,000 people, of which 1% might sympathize and contribute their own $100. I now have $10,000 for my cause.

Isn't this how every pyramid scheme you've ever been pitched started? It doesn't work that way, in the real world. Ask Wall Street.

The problem is 'might sympathize and contribute $100'. Your numbers are faulty because a) you're not going to reach 10,000 people with $100, and b) the people you do reach aren't going to contribute $100. It's simply not that easy to raise money for these things.

On a practical level, focusing on raising money, and not 'raising awareness' (whatever that means), is a more effective way to actually get dollars into the hands of folks who could use them.

To the OP, I say, focus on raising money. Awareness will come.

dotman said:
the anonymity of the internet means you don't actually have to look someone in the eye and say, 'Yes, I support clubbing baby seals to death.'
Yes, because this issue never existed before the internet...:rolleyes:

Look. We get it. You think clubbing seals is wrong.

Do you not get that this is not the only viewpoint it is possible to have? Do you seriously think the rest of us have trouble sleeping?

Jurrasic said:
OK No, the thread is NOT to discuss whether or not it is important to stop seal bashing but to discuss impactful ways to stop the seal bashing , it would after all take some really creative and good ideas to accomplish this most likely. Your post is not on the correct thread, Have you tried starting your own thread asking others whether or not it is important because , as said, this thread is not about what you are off in a corner discussing amongst yourself, totally different topic.

create anthropomorphic sculptures that blur the line between human and seal in an attempt to evoke empathy in the viewer.

http://beinart.org/modules/Word-Press/2007/05/06/patricia-piccininis-anthropomorphic-sculpture/

DaveC426913 said:
Look. We get it. You think clubbing seals is wrong.

Do you not get that this is not the only viewpoint it is possible to have? Do you seriously think the rest of us have trouble sleeping?

You think clubbing seals is right? This is an actual question. Do you think clubbing seals is right? Answer this, yes or no. My answer is no. I state that explicitly.

As far as me not getting possible viewpoints, I get that. But in this conversation, I am the only one who has given actual advice to the OP, twice now in fact. What have you done, except argue with me?

dotman said:
To the OP, I say, focus on raising money. Awareness will come.

dotman said:
As for what you can do, raising money for organizations fighting this practice is the most effective use of your time, probably. 'Raising awareness' does nothing. Money does.

money does what exactly?

Can someone provide a rational reason that clubbing 12 day old seals to death is necessary?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Can someone provide a rational reason that clubbing 12 day old seals to death is necessary?
'Necessary' is not an operative word here. It is not 'necessary' to have an internet or bars, or SUVs. We have them because that is an economy, that is humankind, that is the world.

We hunt seals because it is part of the economy and for many other reasons.

Your question is so incredibly leading that it cannot be answered logically.

Evo said:

Evo seriously. Did you not read my post or are you just coming in here blind? They have to be at least 1 year old before they can be harvested. It is international law.

I would have no problem telling anyone that I think clubbing seals is fine. Please view my post as to how clubbing seals is humane as physically possible for the people doing it.

It is truly amazing the amount of blind obedience that people have on certain topics.

I will come out and say this right now. Clubbing seals is perfectly fine. I 100% support the seal harvest because it is ethical and there are strict laws in place that keep the seal population in check and keep hunters from harvesting juvenile seals. You know what would happen if we didn't harvest seals? Overpopulation. You know what happens then? They starve to death. Is starving a seal to death far more humane than a swift death?

MotoH said:
Evo seriously. Did you not read my post or are you just coming in here blind? They have to be at least 1 year old before they can be harvested. It is international law.
According to the CBC article I posted it is legal to club seals over 12 days old in Canada. You posted no link. Please link to the Canadian law that does not allow this.

Again, I ask, can someone provide a rational reason that clubbing 12 day old seals to death is necessary? This has nothing to do with being for or against a hunt, just justify why the killing has to be so uncontrolled and brutal.

Last edited:
Evo said:
According to the CBC article I posted it is legal to club seals over 12 days old in Canada.

Would you mind explaining why something must be necessary in order for it to be done in a free market economy on a free planet?

It is not necessary to raise cows for meat, yet we do. It is not necessary to manufacture Lambourgini Countach's but we do. The list is unbounded.

It's 1 year old. They can't have their white fur. I know this for a fact because I have talked with many a fisherman who seal hunts in his off time.

It is extremely hard to get an unbiased article on the internet.
A) if you look at any of the "humane" websites, they say seal hunting is so gosh darn horrible how could anyone do this oh my gosh murderers!
or B) seal hunting is completely ethical the seals don't feel a thing the seals need this to survive.

So you can't really get an accurate look at what seal hunting really is until you either try it yourself (which I would like to partake in. I'll hunt anything) or you talk to the people who do it for part of their living.

Don't bash(get it?) anything until you have tried it for yourself. I don't go around saying "eww i don't want to eat that it will taste gross!" before I have even tried it. So why should you go and say seal hunting is inhumane when you haven't even done it?

MotoH said:
It's 1 year old. They can't have their white fur. I know this for a fact because I have talked with many a fisherman who seal hunts in his off time.
That's what I thought, you don't know what you are talking about. The baby seals lose their white coat in 12-14 days. After that it is legal to kill them.

Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about, we have rules against that.

MotoH said:
Don't bash(get it?) anything until you have tried it for yourself.

Perfectly understandable. That's why I don't bash serial killers and such.

Evo said:
That's what I thought, you don't know what you are talking about. The baby seals lose their white coat in 12-14 days. After that it is legal to kill them.

Please don't post if you don't know what you are talking about, we have rules against that.

And you do know what you are talking about? All you have posted is some dribble about how killing seals is bad. You don't even want to see the other side of the story. I am willing to listen to your points for the saving of the seals if you don't come off with a huge bias as you have already.

I am not even going to touch on the PM, trying to silence me? Grow up.

And by the way, isn't there something odd about the title of this thread?

"What would probably be the most impactful steps to stop seal bashing?"
or,
What would probably be the most bashing steps to stop seal bashing?

[ Post updated ]
Government of Canada backs up Evo.
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/seal-phoque/faq-eng.htm#q9
Seals cannot be legally hunted until they have moulted their first coats and are living independently from their mothers. Seals are not usually hunted until they reach the "beater" stage of development at around 25 days old.

Last edited by a moderator:
MotoH said:
And you do know what you are talking about? All you have posted is some dribble about how killing seals is bad. You don't even want to see the other side of the story. I am willing to listen to your points for the saving of the seals if you don't come off with a huge bias as you have already.

I am not even going to touch on the PM, trying to silence me? Grow up.
Yes, I do. I have researched it.

Your refusal to adhere to guidelines and your attitude are in violation of our guidelines. It wasn't a PM, too bad you didn't read it.

You're going on vacation, hopefully you will be enlightened when you return.

I don't think anyone in this thread actually advocates clubbing to death a month old seal. If they do, they haven't said so explicitly. I think they are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

This thread was locked; it should be again. No one is offering useful advice to the OP at this point.

Evo said:
According to the CBC article I posted it is legal to club seals over 12 days old in Canada. You posted no link. Please link to the Canadian law that does not allow this.

Again, I ask, can someone provide a rational reason that clubbing 12 day old seals to death is necessary? This has nothing to do with being for or against a hunt, just justify why the killing has to be so uncontrolled and brutal.

they probably have the thickest and warmest fur when they are very young and haven't yet accumulated much fat. if still white, it would make for decent camouflage.

as for the "brutality", a heavy bash to the skull should make for a swift death. it just evokes a strong emotional reaction, is all.

dotman said:
I don't think anyone in this thread actually advocates clubbing to death a month old seal. If they do, they haven't said so explicitly. I think they are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

This thread was locked; it should be again. No one is offering useful advice to the OP at this point.

well, that's your opinion. i thought my idea was brilliant. and I'm not even against clubbing seals. it's no different than using cows for shoe leather to me. only thing is, i think they shouldn't waste all that meat.

as for your idea, I'm still waiting. it seemed to be giving money to raise awareness, yet you think simply raising awareness is pointless.

Proton Soup said:
as for the "brutality", a heavy bash to the skull should make for a swift death. it just evokes a strong emotional reaction, is all.

Being hit in the head with a club is not a swift death. But you're missing the point. They don't hit the seals in the head to kill them. They hit them in the head to stun them enough that the seals don't squirm around while they skin them. Alive.

It's a brutal practice, and should be stopped.

This thread is going nowhere. Closed.